 General / 45213
Re: WorldLUG into public domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:36:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Derek Schin wrote:
   Hmm, I don’t know, guys. I see a lot of the above mission either already being taken care of by LUGNET, or being something that LUGNET could grow into.

True, but that shouldn’t hinder other projects aiming to do the same. If something can be done better elsewhere, or done at all elsewhere, it’s a win for the whole community.

   While this may be the “ideal” scenerio, it is also the one that is least likely to happen.

I think Tony is probably correct here.

   Todd and Suz have done a great thing here with Lugnet. Lets keep in mind, however, that Lugnet was SUPPOSED to be the all-encompasing site for Lego fans but never actually achieved that goal.

Yes, only about a third of the original plan ever ended up seeing the light of day. What have is still pretty good and a lot of fun, but I can’t say with conviction or credibility that the rest will follow.

   Other resources sprouted up out of necessity to fill in the areas that Lugnet did not or was too slow to implement. BrickLink is a prime example of this. Lugnet was perfectly positioned to do this but let someone else sneak in under them and do it.

What Dan Jezek has accomplished with BrickLink is nothing short of amazing to me. Even if something similar had happened here at LUGNET in the same timeframe, I don’t think it would be as good as BrickLink.

   And frankly, when was the last time Lugnet was updated? Suz made a new homepage for it that was cool and easy for newbies, but it was never implemented. That was like 2 years ago I believe.

I think it was awaiting final adjustments. It’s online here for those who haven’t seen it: http://www.lugnet.com/index-future.cgi

As far as code changes, I don’t think I’ve made any significant advances in a long, long time.

   Lugnet has been running on auto-pilot for some time now. I do not think that it is up to the task of being the “core” site for the Lego community.

I think I have to agree with you.

   Both Todd and Suz have lost interest in Lugnet. They have both “retired” from it at various times. While not showing interest in further developing Lugnet as the community driver it could be, there also seems to be no interest in giving control to others that would be willing to do the work.

I am very interested in that but unsure and afraid of how to bring it into effect.

   Open standards would help to overcome some of these types of “problems” in the community. Spreading responsibility out among more people decreases the likelyhood of one point of failure bringing down the whole system. I think it is an idea worth exploring.

I agree, and please let me know if I can help with facilitating discussion along these lines.

--Todd