 General / 45197
Re: WorldLUG into public domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 05:52:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Derek Schin wrote:
   Hmm, I don’t know, guys. I see a lot of the above mission either already being taken care of by LUGNET, or being something that LUGNET could grow into.

I might be wrong about this, though; maybe there is a place for a WorldLUG. But right now, someone who is new to the hobby can find most of what they need on LUGNET; taking LUGNET to the next level seems like the right answer to me.

Derek

While this may be the “ideal” scenerio, it is also the one that is least likely to happen. Todd and Suz have done a great thing here with Lugnet. Lets keep in mind, however, that Lugnet was SUPPOSED to be the all-encompasing site for Lego fans but never actually achieved that goal.

Other resources sprouted up out of necessity to fill in the areas that Lugnet did not or was too slow to implement. BrickLink is a prime example of this. Lugnet was perfectly positioned to do this but let someone else sneak in under them and do it.

And frankly, when was the last time Lugnet was updated? Suz made a new homepage for it that was cool and easy for newbies, but it was never implemented. That was like 2 years ago I believe.

Lugnet has been running on auto-pilot for some time now. I do not think that it is up to the task of being the “core” site for the Lego community. It only maintains its current status because it was the first adopter and has the momentum that goes along with that.

Both Todd and Suz have lost interest in Lugnet. They have both “retired” from it at various times. While not showing interest in further developing Lugnet as the community driver it could be, there also seems to be no interest in giving control to others that would be willing to do the work.

Open standards would help to overcome some of these types of “problems” in the community. Spreading responsibility out among more people decreases the likelyhood of one point of failure bringing down the whole system. I think it is an idea worth exploring.

Troy