 General / 45187
45186  |  45188
Subject:
WorldLUG into public domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:59:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

howD all,
a couple of things have precipitated this post:
1) my domain name of WorldLUG is expiring soon
2) due to my being in graduate school I will have no time to implement WorldLUG
3) I believe in cooperation over competition and open-access over proprietary development

So, I’m putting WorldLUG into the public domain for anyone who wants to develop it. I’d love to stay involved as a creative thinker if possible. What follows here is our original scope document. The point of WorldLUG was not to implement these features ourselves, but rather to establish some community protocols (XML, SOAP, etc) by which all of our favorite sites (Lugnet, Bricklink, Brickshelf, Peeron, etc.) could be interactive with each other, each adding their own features to the community whole. WorldLUG would be the portal to unite the community cooperatively. WorldLUG evolved out of some early talks with TLC at BrickFest 2002, and we hoped to bring the community into the development once we had the architecture up and running. I built most of these features on the WorldLUG dev site, but had to abandon the launch once I got into grad school. I could facilitate a launch if we could put together a team of developers. I’m willing to give away all existing code or put it on sourceforge if anyone wants to pick up the ball. Post or Email me if you are interested.

News - announcements from WorldLUG, possibly others, assigned by Topic
Polls - data gathering for WorldLUG, TLC, LUGs, etc
Articles - neat stuff to read, assigned by Topic
Community Feedback - obvious
Help - context-sensitive Help from all over the site

Community

Newbie Help - Getting into the lego community (for newbies)
Members - individual Member pages
Calendar - somewhat open-access Calendar: Events, Contests, Auctions (time-related items)
LUGs - LUG pages, LUGlobe, etc
Channels - Theme-based pages handled by Content Rep’s (Partners)
Newsgroups - links to lugnet newsgroups and/or other online forums like FBTB

MyWorldLUG

MyNews - News that fits my criteria for tracking (topic, recent, etc)
MyArticles - Articles that fit my criteria for tracking (topic, recent, etc)
MyFavorites - links to wherever
MyLUGs - LUGs i’m tracking
MyProfile - various Member stuff (user, pass, etc)
MyPreferences - user settings (login settings, etc)
MyMessages - messages sent to me
MyCalendar - same as Community::Calendar, but customizable
MyStore - where I sell things, link to Bricklink, etc.
MyMall - where I shop (links to stores, etc)
MyAuctions - auctions I’m watching, ebay, Bricklink, etc.
MyGallery - links to galleries @ Brickshelf, MOCPages, etc
MySets - links to lugnet setlist (autologin)
MyWishList - public/private wishlist of sets and parts, possibly coordinated
w/ TLC’s wishlist
MyNewsgroups - links to lugnet newsgroups I frequent
MyPosts - links to posts on lugnet that I’m tracking (in coordination w/ lugnet)

Bazaar

Deals - Deals on Lego in stores online
Auctions - Auctions in progress, archived auction data (last paid price for set X, etc)
Stores - links to stores online, Bricklink, etc.

Reference

Sets - links to set data online (lugnet, etc)
Parts - links to parts online (peeron, lugnet, etc)
Instructions - links to instructions online (brickshelf, etc)
Catalogs - links to catalogs online (brickshelf, etc)
SiteRegistry - open-access registry of lego sites added/maintained by the site owners themselves

Hosting

LUG Websites - links to LUG websites
Personal Websites - links to places to host your personal lego page (MOCpages, etc)

“use this knowledge well”

-paul
~ ~ Paul Hartzog
Et In Arcadia Lego