 General / 45193
Re: WorldLUG into public domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 05:25:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Derek Schin wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Paul Hartzog wrote:
   howD all,

(snip)

Bearing in mind that I adore LUGNET, I think this post and this way of thinking is extremely important for the future of our community. All developers within ear shot should think about it. I’m barely a graphic designer but I would pitch in if it was called for.

I agree with Jon here. LUGNET is a good thing, it allows us to discuss serious aspects of our hobby with other like-minded folks, but its time to start looking ahead to integrating all of the wonderful community resources out there in a cooperative spirit. By integrating the various online LEGO resources, sites and services will become easier to find and use - and the benefit of participating in the online community will become clearer to lurkers and newbies, creating a more vibrant and diverse community.

Its time to take forward steps for the sake of the hobby.

-Tim

Hmm, I don’t know, guys. I see a lot of the above mission either already being taken care of by LUGNET, or being something that LUGNET could grow into.

However, I do love the idea of a single point of entry for newbies...Eight or ten years ago (oh, I’m old...) that entry point was rec.toys.lego, but now, things are so big that while LUGNET is the closest thing to a beginning point, there’s really a huge number of resources out there to be exploited.

LUGNET leaves a lot to be desired as a single point of entry, I think. It’s confusing to navigate - especially for newbies, and doesn’t do a good job of linking out to other sites from obvious places - ie guide.lugnet.com/shop doesn’t even mention BrickLink.

   So while I see a beautiful opportunity here, I think it might be best established within the LUGNET framework that’s already in place instead of propping up an entirely new organization and structure. That’s because I’m not sure that the long term benefits of a separate umbrella organization would outweigh all of the work required to put it in place.

It would be great if LUGNET admins opened the site up to more contributors to allow this to fully develop.

I think a key problem here is the ‘umbrella’ paradigm. Don’t think of an umbrella, think of a foundation. We should have ourselves a common starting point, and *encourage* people to build out from there. I don’t think the LUGNET website by nature encourages that - but it would be a very good thing if it did.

   I might be wrong about this, though; maybe there is a place for a WorldLUG. But right now, someone who is new to the hobby can find most of what they need on LUGNET; taking LUGNET to the next level seems like the right answer to me.

I think LUGNET would best serve the communtiy by orienting itself towards being an open standard. I think that’s what the WorldLUG concept is trying to solve. The truth is, right now you don’t find most of what you need on LUGNET. Better inventories exist on Peeron and BrickLink, the marketplace is on BrickLink, serious theme enthusiasts have started their own hubs, etc. But, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to find links to what you need from LUGNET. I believe LUGNET could co-opt this proposed solution and benefit...

-Tim