 General / 45203
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:10:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:

   They already make minifigs like that: http://www.playmobil.com/

What is your point? That because Playmobil uses flesh tones TLC shouldn’t? I’m sorry but I don’t get your drift.

JOHN

My point was that at a time when TLC has already made a lot of costly and pointless changes, they shouldn’t make any more. The minifig is one of the most recognizable and beloved LEGO products of the last quarter-century. Putting feet on it and changing the hands would be another yet another example of TLC turning away from what made them so successful for so long.

I am less concerned about skin tones, but that policy also has its pitfalls. How long until Jesse Jackson shakes down TLC for money, threatening a boycott if sets do not feature enough black characters in positive roles? But personally, the new skin-toned figs don’t affect me a whole lot, since I won’t be buying any sets with the new grays.

I think one of the things that makes the appeal of LEGO timeless is its separation from the troubles of the real world. Once TLC got mixed up in the licenses, it opened the door for all sorts of problems - for example, TLC producing a minifig of someone who may be convicted of rape. I think TLC should stand on its own values, and not attach itself to movies and organizations which tarnish the timeless appeal of the LEGO brand.

Marc Nelson Jr.