 General / 45264
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:12:02 GMT

   In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:

   What if it meant more sales and wider appeal?

Out of curiosity, does anyone suppose that TLG’s decision to move toward flesh tones might have been, at least in part, motivated by the fact that successful competitor brands have been marketing flesh-toned figures for years? This, coupled with several years’ worth of “Where’s Lando” arguments in various permutations could have provided some insight into the consumer’s desires re: minifig colors.

Well, I would assume this-- what else would motivate change? “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” (and, of course, it’s cheaper to do nothing), and perhaps the concept of all yellow figs isn’t necessarily “broke”, but perhaps profits are. Perhaps TLC has market research that tells them that kids prefer flesh tones over a single, yellow one.

   TLC has changed the fig many times over the years. I just don’t buy the “don’t change because it’s a change” argument. Change is necessary and good.

Sure, but not all change is necessary or good, nor good or necessary for all concerned parties.

I meant change is good in the sense that the market and the world constantly changes, and it is imperative for a company to keep up with those changes, or run the risk of becoming an irrelevant dinosaur. Of course, the rub lies in market analysis and whether the enacted changes are actually benefitual and increase the bottom line rather than sabotage it, so your point is well-taken.

   If TLG wants to protect its bottom line, I say that’s 100% fine. But they should at least have the integrity to admit that that’s their goal (or one of their goals) rather than spinning some kind of “it’s all for the children” explanation.

Agreed, but that argument is so persuasive, especially to the Left;-)

   Also, I guess all of this depends on whether or not the minifig colors really are changing...

Well, as I said before, the door has been opened with the basketball figs and some others, and I like the way they look.

JOHN