 General / 43570
43569  |  43571
Subject:
Spare parts - or - Harry Parter part duex (was: Castle Nightmare)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:07:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, William Lister wrote:
Hi All,

Not sure how many are left since Classic-Castle, but I must draw your attention
to a crisis in Castle. It appears TLC has decided to bring back the Castle line
in a Bionicle-like theme.

The world is over and if this rumors proves true, I will not be buying any LEGO
sets at all until such time as TLC decides to return castle to some semblance of
its former glory.

Thats right, I am going to hit a retail dark ages and not by "Any" retail Lego
sets. I will instead either save my money or get my castle fix from another
company, thats right, for the first time in 23 years of Lego building and
collecting, I will buy the Megablocks Dragon line.

I will not scrap my collection or anything crazy, but my thousands of dollars in
retail spending just walked out the door, I will no longer promote Lego in my
community either, an act that I know has over the last few years netted TLC tens
of thousands of dollars. We have been begging for new castle sets and this is
what they gift us with. BAH and Double BAH.

Here is the Page that lists the new sets:
http://f24.parsimony.net/forum61776/messages/70896.htm

Here is a description of the new castle sets:
http://f24.parsimony.net/forum61776/messages/70489.htm

And below is the translated version of the German Text

Knight's Kingdom (knight) is resumed as Actionserie. 5 knights in Bionicle
design. Everyone approx. 20cm highly, 11 movable axles, altogether however
better with resources combinably (have still a few burls). The 5 different coat
of arms sign (wolf, bear, eagle, ape, scorpio) is above all interesting, which
make themselves certainly in each system castle good as Wandbehang.

Tremble with fear at how far TLC is off the mark, I have been involved with
several public showing of my castle creation and the kids always ask how they
can get parts to build "real" castles. I guess my response from now on will be
no where, wait a few years and maybe we will see castles sold at retail again.

This is the most disapointed I have been in TLC in 23 Years.

WL

But that's the real kicker of it all, isn't it?.  LEGO Castle is what it is
because we make it what it is.  LEGO Castle is the fan's theme.  LEGO only
supplies the bricks.  It's the same with space, with town, with trains, with all
the known themes.

I mean, take Mecha, I don't remember LEGO ever making a LEGO Mecha line?  But a
group of builders decided on building something a certain way with the parts
available to them and gave it a name.  So what's different between that and
Castle?

If the new LEGO Castle line are bionicle-esque, so what?  I don't buy sets for
the sake of the sets.  I never have, I never will.  Everything is only spare
parts.

In fact, I've bought about ten times more Harry Potter and Star Wars sets than I
own Castle sets, and you don't see my kingdom suffering.

LEGO can do what it wants with it's product line.  If they fail, they learn from
their error.  If they succeed, so be it.  We, as AFOLs, only make up less than
1% of all of LEGO's income (not an official number, read it somewhere, forgot,
and now am guessing).  LEGO will do what it wants with its product, and we have
no right to demand a new set or series to the specifications of our desire.  All
we can do is suggest and cross our fingers.

If you want to create change, do something positive.  Email LEGO.  Jake and Brad
have both said that all emails sent to the designers and builders from the LEGO
website are read and sent to the right people, regardless of their importance.
Making threats isn't going to help the situation here.  You can be negative, but
be so constructively.

Will I be dissappointed if the next Castle line is Bioncle?  Yeah, I will be.
Will I buy one or all of the sets?  Sure, if I see usable parts.  If I don't see
usable parts, I'll pass them over like the entire Bionicle line (after having
purchased one Bionicle set and came up with a personal decision after building
it).  It's no skin off my back.  LEGO has continued to create great Star Wars
and Harry Potter sets that have great parts, and some of the new lines have them
too.  Heck, the skateboard sets are light grey tile bulk packs!

The talk of the new rounded studs worry me, but we Castlers won't be affected
too much.  Most of our work does not revolve around SNOT, and our MOCs are
typically held together by gravity, so the grabbing strength of bricks isn't as
important to us as it is to other themes.  I hope that it's not a permanent
thing, but if it is, we'll adapt.

And color variations don't really hurt us castlers either.  I mean, what castle
have you ever seen that was truly monochromatic?

A long time ago I made a Megablock [1] of myself (and alienated half of Lugnet)
demanding that Castle deserve better than the LEGEND re-release it got in the
Guarded Inn (I wanted an actual 'Castle,' and was never fond of the Inn).  We
must always remember that LEGO does what it thinks will help LEGO, not any
particular theme.  LEGO is a business, that's what businesses do.  That's the
joy of capitalism.

You may get joy from the sets themselves, and that's great, that's your thing.
To me, I just buy a box full of parts.  Sure, I'll build the set if I've never
owned the set before, but then it goes right to the scrap bin.  And I will
continue to buy whatever sets I see that have parts I want or can use regardless
of theme or original purpose.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  You are, I am.  LEGO is.  And if
it's TLC's opinion that a series go a certain way, se la vi.  All we can do is
share our opinion, and it's up to them what they do with it.  Let's not light
our torches and gather our pitchforks just yet.  The least you can do is wait
for the sets to come out and make a personal judgement when you see them.

--Anthony
http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros

[1] Reference to the C-C.com chat room vulgarity filter