 General / 40709
Re: 3033 on the shelf again?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:24:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Vian Chan Foo writes:
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Lugnet.
I have heard so much about the 3033s, and about AFOL complaining about it
being discontinued.

I have seen the blue tubs all over Asia (now in stock, and a lot of them).
Is this tub only available in Asia?

I bought a tub and counted the pieces, there are only about 90 1x2 bricks
(total of all colors), and much more 1x4 bricks (about 440 of them in 6 main
colors).  This seems to differ from those listed by Eric H. or Peeron.
Anyone can comment on the new 3033s.

So you're saying there's a blue tub widely available in Asia, and it carries
the set number 3033 but it has a different inventory?

That's really weird. Lego has released a number of new and different basic
brick assortments lately here in the States but I have not seen the 3033 in
a while.

In the past I have heard of Lego making small adjustments to inventories to
correct mistakes or revise things but this seems like a much larger
difference than a "small adjustment". Never heard of reuse of the sane set
number this quickly either.

I'm confused... however I offer this anecdote, take it for what it's worth.
I have no idea how accurate it is.

Last year I was trying to find a retailer that still had some 3033s in stock
and I was making inquiries. I talked to the owner of a local Learning
Express(tm) who agreed to ask her distributor.

When she got back to me she said "I can get you 3033s but they're not the
same as what we have in the store"... when I asked her to elaborate she said
she had been told by the distributor "It's the same thing, but it's
different, LEGO is revising it". I ended up passing because of price.

She wasn't a "Lego person" like we are so I chalked it up to her not being
as geeked about the LEGO product line and familiar with product numbering
nuances as we are. It all sounded wacky to me so I didn't think too much
more about it, until now. In addition to your post I have received mail from
other people in asia about this too. (I have listed on my set database entry
that I want to buy more 3033s...)

I'm still not sure whether I understand what it all means.

I XFUT lego.direct in hopes that someone might be able to definitively
answer, is there a 3033 for sale somewhere in the world that has different
inventory, and what does it all mean?

Hope that helps, not sure it does.

++Lar