 General / 34517
Re: Escher Hands (was Re: Gone soft...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 05:40:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

Okay, I tried to get something close to the Escher drawing hands that are
drawing each other into existence, the results can be seen here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/blueofnoon/escher/escher.jpg

I was a little disappointed with the resulting render for several reasons.
One thing was that I was too lazy to actually pose the second hand as Escher
posed his -- they are in fact not identical hands (say, two right hands),
but rather the right and left hands of someone drawing each other -- but
just to see how the experiment would go I opted to try the one posed hand
first, and then just copy it over as the second hand.  My second beef is
that this was an unusually difficult scene to light in a satisfactory way
(and I tried several techniques).  My third complaint is that it's very hard
to model something as soft and rounded as shirt sleeves and cuffs in bricks.
Another complaint is that there is no way that one 3D object can look like
it's drawing the other into plastic existence -- drawing with a stylus has
almost nothing to do with creating 3D objects in 3D, so you lose Escher's
contextual joke immediately.  Plus, there's no way to traverse that silly
space between 2D and 3D as does Escher with his drawing -- this Escher piece
requires conceptual/visual fakery that is probably easiest to achieve with
paper and pencil in 2D where 3D is suggested by some shading of a
conceptually "3D object" which is actually just some lines on 2D paper.

Frankly, the whole thing was probably James' revenge on me for some old real
or imagined slight, and I fell for it.  Somebody shoot me...!

Mwa ha ha ha!  I mean, um... no, whatever gave you that idea?

Seriously though, those are well done.  The slopes and hands do a credible
impression of rising from the page, and it's instantly recognizable, which
is the usual point of a famous piece translated to a different media.  I
like TWS Garrison's suggestion of the hands building each other as another
way of rendering this in brick.

Kudos, Frog - you rise to a challenge better than most folks. (Certainly
better than me!)

thanks,

James