 General / 1782
Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:52:33 GMT

James Brown wrote:

I'm involved (running, actually) a local 'social club' based around a
completely different hobby, but the basics are the same, regardless of where
the special interest lies.  The biggest single thing that a group can do to
avoid the 'elitism' problem is to make the membership open across the board.

I agree with Stephen that making this elitist is not the point, and not the
intent.  What is being discussed is making a recognition system that is
broad-based and fair.  What you are confusing that with is the creation of a
group.

Although I could be dissuaded, I would prefer that the membership
not be open absolutely, but that there be some minimal qualification
that practically anyone could meet with some minor effort, perhaps
any one item from an expanded version of Larry's list.  The idea is
(in part) to encourage new people to do things which might be good
for the hobby.  It'll be a pretty low threshhold, so fears of elitism
are probably unfounded.

I agree.  It doesn't matter whether you are for or against or indifferent to
foul language.  We are attempting to design a recognition for service to the
hobby.  In my experience, foul language has only advanced a cause when it is
creative, well-timed, and infrequent.  And even in those cases, the person it
is used against rarely appreciates it.  While it is not necessarily a detriment
to the hobby, I challenge anyone to prove that it is a benefit.

It's still possible that the awards might be based on an objective
checklist of the sort Larry proposed initially, and if so, I would
argue against adding any sort of morals clause.  If the standard is
more subjective, then each elector would be able to apply whatever
standard they individually felt appropriate, including a clean
language requirement (or not).

The problem with that being then the deliniation of SIG's.  For example, if
someone designs a stunning moonbase with a detailed monorail train, is that
Space, or Train?  Or both?  But (mental whack) those are all details that can
be worked out later.

Right.  Let SIGs create themselves when demand reaches critical mass.
It'll likely be a patchwork, with some overlap and with some areas
not covered at all, but so what?

--
Steve Jacquot
sj5w@virginia.edu