 General / 11670
Re: Geez! LUGNET is just too exciting!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:16:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Little writes:

My girlfriend is understanding of my habit. She buys me sets that she knows I
need, and lets me know if she sees sales, etc. I tried to get her to build • one
for herself so I let her build 7111 SW Droid Fighter. I figured it was a • nice,
small, relatively small set. She hated it. She refused to ever build one
again. I haven't quite given up on her yet, though . . . . :)

Ooops, maybe I shouldn't have bought my girlfriend an 8480 for her birthday!
You think starting her off with the simpler, easier sets is a better idea?
Hmmm.. have to think about this one :)

Richard

Guys, as a woman, let me give you a fresh perspective on this (and I'm
speaking from my own experiences, before I get any timmy's thrown at me by
women who love star wars, etc. Actually I love the movies, the Star Wars was
the first movie on the big screen that I ever saw, but the lego star wars just
doesnt do it for me)
I can just imagine you guys..."oh go on honey, you'll love building the x-wing
fighter, youll see" (apologies to any other female AFOLS out there who love
the sets that leave me cold...well, maybe not cold, Lego couldnt have that
effect on me, but maybe lukewarm???)
Try your girl friends and wives on castle sets, I guarantee this, so try it!
even my mother loves the castle sets!!!!!
Pirate ships could be a winner too. (or islanders, or anything in adventurers)
Take my word for it,don't let the very first set your girlfriend builds be a
vehicle of any description, and don't buy her the sets that you want her to
have, offer to take her lego shopping, especially when King Leos castle comes
out, and offer to shout her any set that she wants, (another hint, not for
birthday or xmas, if she is not already into Lego - just as a fun pressie on a
regular shopping trip)
OK this won't boost up your collection with the sets that you may want, but at
least she'll have an interest in the set she's about to build, instead of
having to be coerced into building, it also means that you could become REALLY
broke trying to supply both of you with sets.
This is what happened to us, "Hey, Rachel, Lego is really cool, check out the
catalogue..." "No, I've never been into Lego, it doesn't do anything for me,
oh, ok, I'll have a look......hey, the castle's are cool, wow, I dig the
Pirate ships, have you got any of these sets? No, only town and train and
technic, oh....."
Three years later and many more thousands of dollars than I care to admit and
I think he is starting to curse the day he ever showed me that catalogue, but
at least I don't complain when he buys Lego!!!!!
A couple of weeks ago he actually said to me "I don't mind hearing about Lego,
BUT NOT EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!"
Oh well, time for a new boyfriend, one who REALLY loves lego!!!!! (just
joking, at least he doesnt mind how much I spend on it!)
Anyhow, just food for thought, after thinking about it, it maybe cheaper if
you don't give her the addiction!!!!!

Rachel:-)