 General / *56265 (-20)
Subject:
Graduation research on Lego !
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2015 16:56:45 GMT

Hi everyone!

My name is Jairo Timmermans and I am a Business Administration student from the
Netherlands.

i am new to this forum and I would like to ask the staff permission to use this
forum as I am currently working on my master thesis, which focuses on you guys!

I would like to know what it is that drives or could drive community members to
engage idea generation co-creation: why do you engage in solving problems and
generating ideas et cetera. In doing so, I could really use your help!

It is really hard to get participants, therefore I will raffle 3x 50€ Lego gift
card among the participants !

Please go to the following site to fill out my survey:
https://qtrial2015az1.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eWNPn1azETaCvw9

Doing so will take no more than 10 minutes of your time, is completely anonymous
and would help me graduate!

I am happy to share the results with anyone interested, it could help to improve
the platform facilities!

Many thanks!

Jairo

ps: If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email at
Jairotimmermans@gmail.com

Subject:
What $20,000 will buy you in LEGO.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 10 May 2015 07:58:29 GMT

Getting the last updates to my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (free
to owners of the current DVD or desktop download.) :)

About $20,000 worth of very very rare Norwegian 1957 LEGO items.... many of
these (boxes not shown in these 2 images).... are items where there are less
than 10 known!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5341/17435898645_c42a332dbc_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7754/17469757192_314567638e_b.jpg

Just the vehicles alone are worth about $10,000... and the one Esso Garage (not
the station)... is a 1309 set of 1956-57... about a $5,000 set.... it's the only
one known.... none in the Billund Vault!
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/13770006243_6c135694aa_o.jpg

Even the Norwegian red road signs are worth $100 each.... so much to discuss
about these rarities... so little time.... will be in my collectors guide
update!

Gary Istok

Re: The largest assembly of LEGO Display Models....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2015 00:09:46 GMT

Also included in the several chapters of my LEGO Collectors Guide are going to
be several videos.

The nice thing about having a Computer Desktop collectors guide (as opposed to
just a hardcover book) is that you can click on sites on the internet (videos
and reference sites), and then go back to the desktop document where you left
off.  This will be true for several videos of some of the largest collections of
LEGO display sculptures on the planet.... including museums (Dan Brown's in
Ohio), as well as online links to the works of famous LEGO sculptors (and LEGO
friends) such as Eric Harshbarger, Nathan Sawaya and Adam Reed Tucker.

The 5 chapters on display models will make this the ultimate guide for official
(and non-official) LEGO sculptures and displays!  ;-)

(P.S. If you currently own my collectors guide.. this expansion of the guide
from 2800 to 3700 pages will be free

One last teaser... from the 1985 Paris LEGO Architect Exhibit...
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3678/10412139184_bcbc500d6b_b.jpg

Thanks,
Gary Istok

P.S. For people mildy interested... see "special" post #21...
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73780

Subject:
The largest assembly of LEGO Display Models....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2015 00:01:59 GMT

Several LEGO fans have recently offered the use of the images of about 150
display models covering the last half century of LEGO retailer displays, for my
Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide next edition (free to current owners
of my DVD or Desktop Reference Guide).

So now my chapter on Glued LEGO display models will likely be split into large
chapters on models by decades!!  :)

Chapter 78 - 1955-70 Early Display Models.
Chapter 79 - 1970s Display Models.
Chapter 80 - 1980s Display Models.
Chapter 81 - 1990s Display Models.
Chapter 82 - 2000- Present Display Models.

This is in addition to a chapter on LEGO Retailer Stores & Displays, and a
chapter on LEGO Retailer Catalogs, Binders and Brochures.

I'm very excited over this... some of these new LEGO guide chapters will be
subdivided into sub-chapters on Town, Castle, Space, Homemaker, Large Figures,
etc.

These chapters will show the evolution from the early years, when retailers were
required to purchase Display Models from TLG in Billund Denmark, to starting in
the 1970s when TLG made them available to retailers, but kept ownership of the
models, expecting them to be returned to TLG.  From what I gathered TLG didn't
want broken or dirty display models left in circulation, because they wanted to
protect the image and reputation of the LEGO product.

Fortunately for us today... many of these LEGO display models didn't make it
back to TLG, which once returned... they were destroyed.  So we are fortunate
that there are survivors among this part of LEGO history.  This same destruction
took place among weathered and replaced Miniland models from the LEGOLAND
partks.  Somewhere I have a heartbreaking image of a huge mound of disposed
LEGOLAND models that were on their way to being crushed and recycled.

Even in the early years, when retailers could own their own copies of models,
TLG suggested that they dispose of them after they became outdated and no longer
in good condition.

The over 150 image assortment I now have to document is amazing... an entire
book on just these alone could be put together.... ;-)

Some teasers from my LEGO display model chapters....

1950s build of a medieval house....
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8701/16935885187_4d0e21f4c8_b.jpg

1960 build of a modern house....
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8611/16191018543_becafebe1a_o.jpg

1960s build of an English Tudor House....
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8707/16245566973_9b61481741_b.jpg

1976 display model of The Old Lady Who Lived In A Shoe....
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3868/14333898286_3dca92a5a1_b.jpg

1970s display model of a Mississippi paddlewheel steamer....
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3113/4566202309_f56ac97d10_b.jpg

1001 Arabian Nights....
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8785/17158944830_ae7b67cd2f_b.jpg

LEGO Airport....
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7734/17158953130_083de99900_b.jpg

.... and a bazillion more....

Enjoy!
Gary Istok

Subject:
Mini LEGOLAND set to open in Shanghai (Discovery Center)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:03:33 GMT

Mini LEGOLAND set to open in Shanghai

2016 will welcome China’s first bricktastic ‘Discovery Centre’
Published on April 24, 2015

While we are currently raising a generation of alarmingly tech-savvy children, who memorise their parents’ iPad pin codes before the letters of the alphabet and can thrash you at Candy Crush Saga while they’re still being potty trained, there was of course a time when computers didn’t rule the roost. This was LEGO golden era, preceding a slump of almost ten years - which it is now emerging from, thanks to the surprising critical and commercial success of The LEGO Movie. Everyone thought it would be shit, because it sounded like it would be shit, but it wasn’t. It was really very good.

This success, along with the popularity of the latest centre which opened in Tokyo (pictured) last year, has presumably helped to bankroll Shanghai’s very own LEGO Discovery Centre – a mini version of LEGOLAND proper – set to open some time next year at the Parkside Plaza in Putuo district. Works are underway on a 3,000sqm space by production company Merlin Entertainment, who say it will be the first of many attractions in the area. Costing 100 millionRMB, it is likely to include all of the Discovery Center hallmarks: a brick pool, factory tour, car racing area, a (hopefully sturdy) LEGO ride, master classes from the LEGO master model builder, and the famous Miniland exhibition, which will include replicas of all of Shanghai’s most famous landmarks. It is of course arguable that a city has really made it once it has its own LEGO replica. Shanghai, we’ve arrived! Behold us in all our LEGO glory.

The opening will be part of a slew of other theme park-related openings – last year’s Hello Kitty, and next year’s Disneyland.

Source: TimeOutShanghai.com

-end of report-

Subject:
Behind the Scenes: LEGO® Star Wars Droid Tales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.animation, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:50:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Behind the Scenes: LEGO® Star Wars Droid Tales

A look into the creative process behind LEGO Star Wars animated content with Michael Price, Michael Donovan, Anthony Daniels and Jason Cosler. Panel discussion originally held at Star Wars Celebration 2015.

YouTube Channel: LEGO
Video Link: YouTube.com

Note: It’s a long video.

Subject:
Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment Launch DC Super Hero Girls, LEGO Is Involved
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.licensed
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:14:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment Launch DC Super Hero Girls, LEGO Is Involved

Warner Bros. And DC Entertainment In Partnership With Mattel Launch DC Super Hero Girls, A New Super Hero Universe Designed Just For Girls, Slated For Fall 2015

BURBANK, Calif., April 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Beginning in Fall 2015, DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation, Warner Bros. Consumer Products and Mattel join forces to launchDC Super Hero Girls, an exciting new universe of Super Heroic storytelling that helps build character and confidence, and empowers girls to discover their true potential. Featuring DC Comics’ most powerful and diverse line-up of female characters as relatable teens,DC Super Hero Girls will play out across multiple entertainment content platforms and product categories to create an immersive world.

Developed for girls aged 6-12, DC Super Hero Girls centers on the female Super Heroes and Super-Villains of the DC Comics universe during their formative years—prior to discovering their full super power potential. Featuring a completely new artistic style and aesthetic, DC Comics’ icons such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl,Harley Quinn, Bumble Bee, Poison Ivy, Katana and many more make their unprecedented teenaged introduction. Each character has her own storyline that explores what teen life is like as a Super Hero, including discovering her unique abilities, nurturing her remarkable powers and mastering the fundamentals of being a hero.

“DC Entertainment is home to the most iconic and well-known Super Heroes including Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl,” saidDiane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment. “DC Super Hero Girls represents the embodiment of our long-term strategy to harness the power of our diverse female characters. I am so pleased that we are able to offer relatable and strong role models in a unique way, just for girls.”

The initial launch of DC Super Hero Girls in Fall 2015 will include an immersive digital experience, original digital content and digital publishing—providing opportunities for girls to interact with characters, learn about the storylines, and engage in customizable play. TV specials, made-for-videos, toys, apparel, books and other product categories will begin to rollout in 2016.

“Developing a Super Hero franchise exclusively for girls that includes all of the key components of a comprehensive entertainment experience—from content to consumer products—is something we are excited to be doing in conjunction with our great partners,” said Brad Globe, President of Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “It’s really an honor to be part of this cultural moment and to be delivering a concept so rooted in a relatable and empowered theme that the characters of DC Comics are uniquely able to present.”

As master toy licensee, Mattel is collaborating with DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Bros. Consumer Products onDC Super Hero Girls’ narrative creation, interactive digital activations and ultimately a toy line launching in 2016. Mattel category-leading firsts include a line of characters for the action figure category, an area of the industry that has been primarily developed with boys in mind, and fashion dolls featuring strong, athletic bodies that stand on their own in heroic poses.

“Partnering with the best and being the best partner is of paramount importance,” saidRichard Dickson, President, Chief Operating Officer, Mattel. “Together with Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment, theDC Super Hero Girls franchise will further expand our already powerful girls portfolio. We know Super Hero is a culturally relevant theme and theDC Super Hero Girls franchise will engage and inspire girls, providing cues to explore heroic acts through play and into real life.”

The Random House Books for Young Readers imprint of Random House Children’s Books has been appointed the master publishing partner for the franchise and will be creating a portfolio of books that will bring theDC Super Hero Girls world to life, beginning in Spring 2016. Random House’s publishing program will be complemented by a series of original graphic novels from DC Entertainment. The LEGO Group will also be key to building theDC Super Hero Girlsfranchise, leveraging their experience and success engaging girls in creative construction play to bolster this universe through an array of LEGO® building sets designed to inspire girls’ imaginations. Additionally, consumer products partners around the world will be engaged in creating a merchandise line dedicated toDC Super Hero Girls across all key categories.

About Warner Bros. Consumer ProductsWarner Bros. Consumer Products, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is one of the leading licensing and retail merchandising organizations in the world.

About DC EntertainmentDC Entertainment, home to iconic brands DC Comics (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash), Vertigo (Sandman, Fables) and MAD, is the creative division charged with strategically integrating its content across Warner Bros. Entertainment and Time Warner. DC Entertainment works in concert with Warner Bros. divisions to unleash its stories and characters across all media, including but not limited to film, television, consumer products, home entertainment and interactive games. Publishing thousands of comic books, graphic novels and magazines each year, DC Entertainment is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world.

About Warner Bros. AnimationWarner Bros. Animation (WBA) is one of the leading producers of animation in the entertainment industry, producing and developing both CG and traditionally animated projects for multiple platforms, both domestically and internationally. For TV, WBA produces series such as Teen Titans Go!, The Tom andJerry Show and the upcoming Be Cool Scooby-Doo! and Wabbit – A Looney Tunes Production for Cartoon Network, as well as Mike Tyson Mysteries for Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim. As the home of the iconic animated characters from the DC Comics, Hanna-Barbera, MGM and Looney Tunes libraries, WBA also produces highly successful animated films — including the DC Universe Animated Original Movies — for DVD. One of the most-honored animation studios in history, WBA has won six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, theGeorge Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, the HUMANITAS Prize, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).

About MattelThe Mattel family of companies (Nasdaq: MAT) is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of toys and family products. Mattel’s portfolio of best-selling brands includes Barbie®, the most popular fashion doll ever produced, Hot Wheels®, Monster High®, American Girl®, Thomas & Friends® and Fisher-Price® brands, including Little People® and Power Wheels®, MEGA® Brands, including MEGA BLOKS® and RoseArt®, as well as a wide array of entertainment-inspired toy lines. In 2013, Mattel was named one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” by Ethisphere Magazine and in 2014 ranked No. 5 on Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s “100 Best Corporate Citizens” list. With worldwide headquarters inEl Segundo, Calif., Mattel’s companies employ nearly 30,000 people in 40 countries and territories and sell products in more than 150 nations. At Mattel, we are Creating the Future of Play. Visit us atwww.mattel.com , www.facebook.com/mattel or www.twitter.com/mattel .

About Random House Children’s BooksRandom House Children’s Books is the world’s largest English-language children’s trade book publisher. Creating books for toddlers through young adult readers, in all formats from board books to activity books to picture books, novels, ebooks, and apps, the imprints of Random House Children’s Books bring together award-winning authors and illustrators, world-famous franchise characters, and multimillion-copy series. The company’s website, Kids @ Random (www.randomhousekids.com ) offers an array of activities, games, and resources for children, teens, parents, and educators. Random House Children’s Books is a division of Random House LLC, a Penguin Random House Company.

About The LEGO Group The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company with headquarters in Billund,Denmark, and main offices in the U.S., UK, China, and Singapore. Founded in 1932 byOle Kirk Kristiansen, and based on the iconic LEGO brick, it is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of play materials. Guided by the spirit of its founder: “Only the best is good enough”, the company is committed to the development of children and aims to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow through creative play and learning. LEGO products are sold worldwide and can be virtually explored atwww.LEGO.com .

LEGO, its logo, the brick & knob configuration and the Minifigure are trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2015 The LEGO Group.

Source: ComicBookResources.com

-end of report-

Subject:
A New 3D Modeling Tool For LA Area Modelers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2015 00:08:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey Builders,

We’re a collective of video game nerds, Minecraft builders, and lego modelers in the process of bringing digital creating into its next evolutionary phase. Our software Sunshine utilizes motion tracking (with the razer hydra), oculus rift, and 3D televisions to create an entirely new method of digital space creation, and 3D modeling.

We are looking for limited number of talented Minecraft enthusiasts in the Los Angeles area to play test, and contribute to the creative devlopment of Sunshine. If interested send us a quick note detailing your digital modeling experience. Screenshots would excite us.

Email us at SunshineBlocks@gmail.com

Steven Schkolne, Sunshine

Subject:
LEGO Sues to Block Imports in Patent Fight Over Toy Dolls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 07:52:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO Sues to Block Imports in Patent Fight Over Toy Dolls

March 11, 2015
By Jenna Greene, The National Law Journal

The U.S. International Trade Commission on Wednesday gave a green light to toy maker LEGO A/S to bring a patent and copyright infringement case against three competitors that are seeking to appeal more to girls.

In January 2012, LEGO launched its “Friends” line—little LEGO dolls named Mia, Olivia, Emma, Andrea and Stephanie, who live in the imaginary world of Heartlake City.

The company started its Friends line—which includes the Heartlake Shopping Mall and dolls with “a multitude of shoe styles”—to make “Lego play more interesting for girls,” according to Lego’s complaint. Lego said it found in studies that 91 percent of its primary users are boys.

LEGO sued three competitors: LaRose Industries of Randolph, N.J.; Mega Brands Inc. of Montreal; and Best-Lock Construction Toys Inc. of Miami.

The competitors are attempting “to capitalize on LEGO’s success by copying its innovations and products and preying on the vulnerability of LEGO’s youthful consuming population, instead of developing their own product lines,” LEGO counsel Elizabeth Alquist and Eric TeVelde of Day Pitney wrote. The company is also represented by and Tom Schaumberg and Michael Doane of Adduci, Mastriani & Schaumberg.

The product won “Toy of the Year” for the best toy overall at the 2013 International Toy Fair in New York, and with sales that more than doubled LEGO’s initial projections.

Mega Brands, which was bought by Mattel Inc. last year, tried to persuade the International Trade Commission (ITC) to knock out the complaint early. The company argued that LEGO did not meet the domestic-industry requirement. LEGO’s “global headquarters are in Denmark and its manufacturing of its products takes place outside the United States, primarily in China. As such, there is a real and serious question about its ability to meet the domestic-industry requirement under Section 337,” wrote Mega Brands counsel Gary Hnath, a partner at Mayer Brown. He asked the ITC to evaluate the case under a new fast-track pilot program.

LEGO argued that it conducts “substantial licensing, research and development, and technical activities within the United States,” fulfilling the domestic-industry prerequisite.

Hnath countered that even if that’s the case, LEGO has to show “whether the purported licensing activities relate to the design patents and copyrights asserted in this investigation.” (Italics in the original).

The ITC commissioners sided with LEGO, voting March 11 to let the case proceed. It will be tried by an administrative law judge, and could result in an import ban on the infringing products.

Parallel patent infringement litigation is also pending in U.S. district court in Connecticut.

From: NationalLawJournal.com

United States International Trade Commission: Link of the case.ITCblog.com

-end of report-

Subject:
Dear lugnet.general
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2015 08:20:41 GMT
(canceled)

Subject:
LEGOLAND® Parks Premiering New The LEGO Movie 4D Film
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.animation, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 04:58:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGOLAND® Parks Premiering New The LEGO Movie 4D Film

Feb. 25, 2015

CARLSBAD, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Merlin Entertainments announced today it is partnering with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and The LEGO Group to bring a new 4D animated film based on the popular characters of The LEGO® Movie™, from Warner Bros. Pictures, Village Roadshow Pictures and LEGO System A/S, to guests at LEGOLAND® Parks and LEGOLAND® Discovery Centers around the world later this year. The new 4D animated film will open exclusively at the six LEGOLAND Parks and 11 LEGOLAND Discovery Centers in North America, Asia and Europe.

Using elements such as wind, water, smoke and special lighting effects, the larger-than-life experience brings the film’s main characters, Emmet and Wyldstyle, back together with their friends for another awesome adventure.

“We’re excited to be partnering with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and The LEGO Group on such a, dare I say, awesome, adventure,” says Merlin Entertainments Chief Executive Officer Nick Varney. “Emmet and Wyldstyle have become immensely popular at our theme parks and Discovery Centers across the globe and bringing this new 4D movie exclusively to our guests continues our Merlin philosophy of creating memorable family experiences.”

“More than a film, The LEGO Movie became an anthem for creative building, inspiring families around the world to pull their LEGO collections out and piece together their imaginations,” says Jill Wilfert, vice president licensing & entertainment for the LEGO Group. “I know that LEGOLAND guests are going to love seeing these characters in a fun, new adventure.”

For the latest news on this 4D adventure, check the Merlin website at www.MerlinEntertainments.biz

About Merlin Entertainments

MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS plc is the leading name in location-based, family entertainment. Europe’s number one and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates 106 attractions, 11 hotels/3 holiday villages in 23 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to its almost 60 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its managers and approximately 25,000 employees.

Among Merlin’s attractions are - SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, The London Eye, Dungeons, Gardaland, LEGOLAND Discovery Centres, Alton Towers Resort, Warwick Castle, THORPE PARK Resort, Blackpool Tower, Heide Park Resort, WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo, Sydney Tower Eye and SKYWALK. All brands which are distinctive, challenging and innovative – and which have great potential for growth in the future. Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.

About The LEGO Group

The LEGO Group is a privately held, family-owned company, based in Billund, Denmark. It was founded in 1932 and today the group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of play materials for children. The company is committed to the development of children’s creative and imaginative abilities through its products, which can be purchased in more than 130 countries. Visit www.LEGO.com

LEGO, the LEGO logo, the brick and knob configuration and the Minifigure are trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2015 The LEGO Group.

About Warner Bros. Consumer Products

Warner Bros. Consumer Products, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is one of the leading licensing and retail merchandising organizations in the world.

Source: Businesswire.com

-end of report-

Re: The mysterious "WDR" version 6661 Mobile TV Set...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 01:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
One of the most interesting LEGO sets in recent times has been the 6661 Mobile
TV Set of 1989.  This set was sold everywhere, and would have an otherwise dull
existence if it weren't for the fact that Germany has a very interesting
variation of this set... the West Deutsche Rundfunk (WDR) version of this set.

West Deutsche Rundfunk is a northwestern Germany TV Station that appears to have
had a promotional 6661 set made with the stations letters "WDR" printed on the 2
1x4x3 blue panels that make up the truck of this set.

Cheers,
Gary Istok

As a followup I did some more digging, and it appears that this set was likely
for the 35th anniversary for the WDR TV station of Cologne Germany.  The special
edition with very rare WDR panels was for the 1 Jan. 1991 35th Anniversary of
the German TV network.  More information and photos on it here....

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/15873/the-mysterious-german-6661-mobile-tv-studio-set#latest

There's even one for sale on German EBAY.

I do believe that as this set becomes more well known, it will increase in
value!

And of course it's part of my collectors guide!  ;)

Cheers,
Gary Istok

Subject:
Would you like to see a LEGO® Oscar® Statue set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:59:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Would you like to see a official LEGO® Oscar set?

At the 87th Academy Awards, the song “Everything is Awesome” from “The LEGO® Movie” was perform. During the performance LEGO versions of the Oscar statue were given out to few celebrities. The LEGO version of the Oscar was designed by Nathan Sawaya known as ‘Brick Artist’ in the LEGO fan world.

Video: “Everything is Awesome” from the 87th Academy Awards, YouTube.com

The LEGO designed of the Oscar was created in March 2002 by Nathan Sawaya.

Nathan Sawaya’s has posted his LEGO Oscar statue on LEGO Ideas.

Enjoy!

Subject:
Rob Schrab to Direct 'The LEGO Movie Sequel!'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.animation
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:23:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Rob Schrab to Direct The LEGO Movie Sequel!

Director Rob Schrab (“Community,” “The Mindy Project”) will mark his feature directorial debut overseeing construction on The LEGO Movie Sequel, the eagerly awaited follow-up to the worldwide sensation The LEGO Movie. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President of Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who wrote and directed The LEGO Movie, are writing the new feature based on a story by Lord, Miller, Jared Stern and Michelle Morgan. In addition, Lord and Miller will serve as producers, alongside returning producers Dan Lin and Roy Lee.

“‘The LEGO Movie’ captivated critics and audiences on a global scale with its irresistible blend of humor, imagination and fun. Warner Bros. is excited to build our relationship with The LEGO Group with this new adventure,” says Silverman, “and we join them in welcoming the multi-talented Rob Schrab to the LEGO family as he takes the helm of ‘The LEGO Movie Sequel.‘”

“We are so excited to collaborate with Rob,” add Lord and Miller. “He is a comedy genius, a visual savant, and we have been stalking him for years. No one works harder than Rob, and his aesthetic, combined with his sense of humor, bring a strong, unique, thoughtful, and passionately nerdy voice to this project. People who know him are slapping their foreheads today and saying, ‘Of course!’”

In addition to his small-screen work, Schrab is well known as the creator of the comic book series “Scud: The Disposable Assassin.” He also wrote, directed and executive produced “The Sarah Silverman Program,” for which he gained a WGA Award nomination. He previously earned a 2007 Annie Award nomination for Best Writing in an Animated Feature Production, for the Oscar-nominated comedy Monster House. In addition, he won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics, and received an additional nomination for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Special for his work on the 81st Annual Academy Awards.

The LEGO Movie Sequel is another piece of the Studio’s growing LEGO film franchise, also including the upcoming Ninjago, slated for a September 23, 2016, release, and an as-yet-untitled LEGO Batman feature, due out in May 2017.

Source: Comingsoon.net

-end of report-

Subject:
Global Growth Ensures Strong 2014 Result for The LEGO® Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:16:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

GLOBAL GROWTH ENSURES STRONG 2014 RESULT FOR THE LEGO GROUP

Strong performance of product lines, such as LEGO® City, LEGO Creator as well as THE LEGO® MOVIE™ products contributed to sales growth in all regions of the world and led to a highly satisfactory annual result for the LEGO Group with sales increasing to 28.6 billion DKK.

“In 2014 we increased our sales by 15 percent. I am proud that we delivered high quality creative play experiences to millions of children all over the world. This resulted in a highly satisfactory result for us, and it remains our aspiration to be the best at what we do,” says Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, President and CEO of the LEGO Group.

Key 2014 results

•Revenue growth excluding foreign exchange impacts was 15% year over year on a local currency basis
•Revenue increased by 13% in DKK to DKK 28.6 billion against DKK 25.3 billion the year before
•The year’s operating profit increased to DKK 9.7billion against DKK 8.3 billion in 2013 – an increase of 16%
•Net profit was DKK 7.0 billion compared to DKK 6.1 billion in 2013 – an increase of 15%
•Investments in property, plant and equipment amounted to DKK 3.1 billion in 2014 - an increase of 18% versus the previous year’s investment level
•Zero product recalls - for the 5th year running
•Injury rate 1.7 compared to 1.7 in 2013
•More than 90% of waste from production sites recycled
•The number of employees in the LEGO Group increased from 13,869 at the end of 2013 to 14,762 at the end of 2014

Read the full Annual Report 2014 here.

Read the Responsibility Report 2014 here.

Double digit sales growth in all regions

In 2014 the LEGO Group continued recent years’ strong growth in sales, outperforming the global toy market development. All LEGO Group market regions experienced double digit sales growth while the traditional toy market in most countries grew by low single digit rates.

In the LEGO Group’s largest market, the US, sales grew double digit as did sales in the UK, France, Russia and China, while Central and Northern European markets achieved healthy single digit growth rates.

Among the top selling lines in 2014 were core themes like LEGO® City, LEGO® Star Wars™ and LEGO Friends. LEGO Creator and LEGO Technic experienced high growth rates during the year, and a significant contributor to the strong sales growth in 2014 was THE LEGO® MOVIETM product line which launched in conjunction with the release of THE LEGO MOVIE feature film in early 2014. The product line performed strongly across the full year.

“Our ability to innovate and reinvent the LEGO play experience every year is vital for our success. We are dedicated to create new products that are fun and appealing to children all over the world. Through our products we provide children with a tool to express their imagination. At the same time we continuously want to deliver play experiences that are safe and of the highest quality, and we have impeccable safety and quality standards. 2014 was our 5th consecutive year without a product recall which remains our ambition level for 2015,” says Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, adding:

“Looking at the products we have developed for 2015 I feel confident that we will bring joy to even more children in the coming year.”

In the coming years the global toy market is expected to continue to grow low single digit.

“Due to our continued focus on innovation and commitment to global expansion we expect to grow moderately ahead of the market in the future, while remaining committed to our continued aspiration to deliver the greatest play experiences possible to children all over the world,” says John Goodwin, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.

85 million children reached in 2014

The LEGO Group strategy of globalising operations further has enabled the company to reach more children in markets where the LEGO Group already have a strong presence as well as new parts of the world where LEGO play is relatively new to the consumers.

“We estimate that more than 85 million children across the world had a LEGO play experience during 2014. This has only been possible through an ongoing focus on building our capabilities globally during 2014 from manufacturing to sales, as well as developing great products that appeal to children across cultures and geographies,” says John Goodwin.

Building the organisation of the future

As a consequence of the LEGO Group’s ambition to globalise its activities, an increased focus has been placed on attracting a more diverse, global workforce. During 2014 two main offices have been opened in Shanghai and London to supplement the main offices in Singapore and Enfield, US, and the headquarters in Billund, Denmark. All of these five locations are to have significant top management presence.

In addition to setting up main offices, the LEGO Group significantly increased already extensive investments globally to re-enforce the company’s commitment to expand its market presence, and consumer experiences in the future.

•In March, a new factory was inaugurated in Nyíregyháza, Hungary, to replace the existing plant in the same town.

•In April the foundation stone of a manufacturing facility in Jiaxing, China, to solely supply the Asian market was revealed. Construction is ongoing and the plant is expected to commence operation in 2015 and be fully operational by 2017.

•At the LEGO factory in Monterrey, Mexico, an expansion to the packing facilities was inaugurated in June.

•In August the foundation stone of the LEGO House – a 12,000 m2 experience centre in Billund, Denmark – was laid by the owner family of the LEGO Group. When the LEGO House opens, fans of all ages will be able to experience the LEGO story and the endless possibilities of the LEGO brick.

•In September, the construction of a new production hall at the LEGO factory in Kladno, the Czech Republic, was completed. The new hall is part of a significant expansion of the plant that is expected to be finalised in 2016.

•During 2014 considerable investments have been made in an upgrade of equipment in the moulding factory in Billund, Denmark, which remains the largest moulding location globally when measured by output.

•Finally, sales offices in Brazil, Turkey and Malaysia have been added to the long list of local presence for the LEGO Group.

As a result of the LEGO Group’s commitment to build an organisation to support the further globalisation of the LEGO play experience, the number of employees in the company grew by 893 to 14,762 employees by the end 2014 compared to 13,869 at the end 2013.

“Our dedicated and highly engaged employees around the world can proudly take credit for our strong performance in 2014. In addition, welcoming even more new employees adds to our current diversity, brings new inspiration and new ways of working to our company, so I am pleased that so many employees joined us in 2014, amongst them the two new members of the LEGO Group’s Management Board,” says Jørgen Vig Knudstorp.

Further information:
Roar Rude Trangbæk,
Press Officer, the LEGO Group
media@LEGO.com

Source: The LEGO Group LEGO.com

-end of report-

Subject:
LEGO Overtakes Ferrari as the World’s Most Powerful Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:21:53 GMT

LEGO Overtakes Ferrari as the World’s Most Powerful Brand

According to Brand Finance posted Feb. 17, 2015.

•Analysis of the world’s top brands shows LEGO has replaced Ferrari as the most powerful
•Success of The LEGO Movie has propelled the already well-loved brand to the #1 spot
•Ferrari was last year’s most powerful brand, but has dropped to 9th
•Apple caps a record-breaking month with the highest brand value in history, $128.3bn
•Twitter is the fastest growing brand; its brand value has nearly tripled in a year
•Results, graphs & analysis can be found here and in the Brand Finance Global 500 report

Every year, leading brand valuation and strategy consultancy Brand Finance puts thousands of the world’s top brands to the test. They are evaluated to determine which are the most powerful, and the most valuable.

‘Everything is Awesome’ for LEGO

LEGO is the World’s most powerful brand. It scores highly on a wide variety of measures on Brand Finance’s Brand Strength Index such as familiarity, loyalty, promotion, staff satisfaction and corporate reputation. LEGO is a uniquely creative and immersive toy; children love the ability to construct their own worlds that it provides. In a tech-saturated world, parents approve of the back-to-basics creativity it encourages and have a lingering nostalgia for the brand long after their own childhoods. The LEGO Movie perfectly captured this cross-generational appeal. It was a critical and commercial success, taking nearly US$500m since its release a year ago. It has helped propel LEGO from a well-loved, strong brand to the World’s most powerful.

Ferrari Stalls

LEGO has overtaken Ferrari, last year’s most powerful brand. Ferrari remains a very strong brand but its power is slowly diminishing. It has now gone several years without an F1 title and last season struggled even to mount a challenge. The sheen of glory from its 1990s golden era is beginning to wear thin. Meanwhile the departure of Luca di Montezemolo heralds a slight change in strategy at Ferrari’s road car division. Montezemolo kept a strict cap on production to maintain the exclusivity of the brand. Since his departure, Chairman Sergio Marchionne has suggested that this policy will be relaxed to boost revenues.

Many Ferrari owners and aspiring owners are extremely brand-conscious, making the loss of the ‘world’s most powerful brand’ accolade, which Ferrari has held for several years, a particularly heavy blow. Brand Finance CEO David Haigh comments, “Ferrari is still in a strong position and its brand value has actually increased 18% this year to $4.7 billion. The new strategy to capitalise on the brand will certainly drive short term value but over-exploitation risks lasting damage.”

Apple Sets Another Record

The power of a brand is just one component of Brand Finance’s analysis. The company combines the information on a brand’s strength with financial data, to calculate its commercial value. When brand values are calculated, Apple comes out on top. Though not quite on a par with Ferrari or Lego in terms of brand strength, Apple still has a very powerful brand. What sets it apart is ability to monetize that brand. Apple has a remarkable knack for using its brand to popularise and hence monetize existing technology, as it did so successfully first with the mp3 player, smart phone and later the tablet. Critics have been silenced by the success of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Consumers have snapped latest models in their droves, helping Apple set records for quarterly profits ($18bn) and company value ($710bn).

David Haigh continues, “The Apple brand is worth US$128 billion. That value is huge not just in its own terms but also as a proportion of Apple’s record-breaking corporate valuation. It goes to show how valuable brands are as business assets and how important it is to manage them well.”

FastestGrowingBrand

Twitter is the fastest growing brand; it has almost tripled its brand value in a year, increasing from $1.5 billion in early 2014 to $4.4 billion now. Fellow tech giants Baidu and Facebook have also grown strongly, by 161% and 146% respectively. The three appear to be more effectively managing the transition to mobile advertising than other tech players such as Google, boosting expectations of the financial potential of their brands.

Chipotle stands out among the many successes from the tech and telecoms sectors this year. Its brand value is up 124%. It is eating into McDonalds’ market share by positioning itself as a healthier, tastier and more ethical alternative. McDonalds’ iconic brand has lost $4bn in value this year.

Brand values for hundreds of the world’s top brands from all industries can be found on Brand Finance’s website. The full Global 500 table can be found here and infographics, further insight and analysis in the Brand Finance Global 500 report.

BrandFinance.com

-end of report-

Re: Star Wars will "stay with us forever," says LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.licensed
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:08:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Abner Finley wrote:
   Knudstorp said: “It’s important but it’s never defining our business. We can live without it, but are happy to bring a few IPs in.”

“We can live without it”? The numbers say otherwise. Lego wouldn’t be where it is without those few very strong IPs they’ve brought in. Star Wars in particular saved their bacon.

Sounds like the market is ripe for the return of Galidor!

I’d laugh if it wasn’t true.

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-star-wars-constraction-buildable-figures-75111-darth-vader-75110-luke-skywalker/

Re: Star Wars will "stay with us forever," says LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.licensed
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2015 22:36:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Abner Finley wrote:
   Knudstorp said: “It’s important but it’s never defining our business. We can live without it, but are happy to bring a few IPs in.”

“We can live without it”? The numbers say otherwise. Lego wouldn’t be where it is without those few very strong IPs they’ve brought in. Star Wars in particular saved their bacon.

Sounds like the market is ripe for the return of Galidor!

Re: Star Wars will "stay with us forever," says LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.licensed
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:36:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Abner Finley wrote:
   Knudstorp said: “It’s important but it’s never defining our business. We can live without it, but are happy to bring a few IPs in.”

“We can live without it”? The numbers say otherwise. Lego wouldn’t be where it is without those few very strong IPs they’ve brought in. Star Wars in particular saved their bacon.

Steve

Subject:
Star Wars will "stay with us forever," says LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.licensed
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:07:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Star Wars will “stay with us forever,” says LEGO

By Billy Langsworthy
February 11, 2015

The merging of the two properties has become a brand in its own right, CEO Jørgen Von Knudstorp tells ToyNews.

LEGO believes the success of LEGO Star Wars as a property in its own right means the brand will “stay with us forever”.

LEGO Group CEO Jørgen Von Knudstorp told ToyNews that Star Wars fit the firm’s remit for embracing licences that boast longevity.

“Star Wars has been with us since 1999 and we think it will stay with us forever because LEGO Star Wars has become a brand in its own right,” said Knudstorp.

“We don’t want to do everything that ends up in a movie theatre because there’s so much. I always try to look for stories that have longevity, like classic fairy tales of good versus evil. Things like The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Star Wars and Harry Potter are great opportunities for us and sometimes we take TV series like The Simpsons, SpongeBob SquarePants or Bob the Builder.

“Other times we try something out like Prince of Persia, which didn’t really work out, or The Lone Ranger, and that has to be done from time to time because we do need to test the water a little bit.”

And with products like LEGO Back to the Future and LEGO The Big Bang Theory hitting shelves via the LEGO Ideas scheme, is the firm finally starting to launch certain licensed sets aimed at adults?

“Yes and no,” continued Knudstorp.

“A good example of it is LEGO Ghostbusters. I hadn’t spoken about Ghostbusters since my childhood but that item has been extremely strong and we’ve been surprised with how popular it is. That’s an example of where we thought we’re only doing this for the adult fans but looking at the numbers, quite a few kids are into it as well.”

Despite the success of its licensed portfolio, LEGO remains wary of overdoing it on that front.

Knudstorp said: “It’s important but it’s never defining our business. We can live without it, but are happy to bring a few IPs in.”

ToyNews-online

-end of report-

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact