 Gaming / BrikWars / *326 (-5)
Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:50:21 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert. Every skiff represented a Trading Guild, and upon arrival at the outskirts of a potential market town each captain decided to try and “thin the competition” a bit.

My contribution to the fight was the Egregious, a Dragonfly-Class Torpedo Gunboat. Its steam powerplant (located in a protective cast-iron bathtub within the hull) powers three heavy-lift main rotors, as well as a pair of outboard steam-turbine-driven manuevering props.

The game, by the way, was great. We played for about 10 hours (!) and had a pretty clear victor (Wayne) by the end. 6 skiffs entered the fray, and there was every form of battle imaginable: gunfire, ramming, boarding actions, hand-to-hand. Even the dreaded Sandworms of Kar’Zuba got into the action, gorging on troopers abaonding their skiffs as they went down. Photos of the game itself can be seen here.

-Shaun

Is there a article available describing the battle in detail? I am also interested in this type of gaming, being a fan of Space:1889. I even did some British troops and a mini-Aphid:

Now I want to expan my Aphid, any suggestions?

-- Don GtwLUG Lugnet#1239 St. Louis

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:29:10 GMT

I really, really like this! It is so complete looking and has a beautiful presence and balance all of its own. Absolutely amazing work! A beautiful MOC!

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 05:08:36 GMT

Very nice, I like how the bottom of the hull is not flat, gives is a believable purpose. Very spelljammers feel to it.

Now you need a steam punk foating dock to more it to.

Aaron

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:02:21 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Loosely inspired by some gorgeous SW Sail Barge MOCs on Brickshelf, NELUG’s latest [1] Brikwars game featured a steampunk skiff battle set above the desolate Kar’Zuba desert. Every skiff represented a Trading Guild, and upon arrival at the outskirts of a potential market town each captain decided to try and “thin the competition” a bit.

My contribution to the fight was the Egregious, a Dragonfly-Class Torpedo Gunboat. Its steam powerplant (located in a protective cast-iron bathtub within the hull) powers three heavy-lift main rotors, as well as a pair of outboard steam-turbine-driven manuevering props.

Shaun,

I really like this, you put a lot of detail into making this, and it’s very believable in a steampunk sort of way!

Thanks,

George

Re: The steampunk skiff 'Egregious'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:36:24 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.brikwars, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
   This is also a great example in my book of how to use the two different browns together. The two different tones add so much to this.

I like the effect also. It became apparent very early on that I would send myself to the madhouse if I insisted on using a single color only - and that assumes that I even had the pieces I needed in the right color. When building the deck and hull I instead employed a philosophy of “grab the nearest piece needed as long as it’s brown, reddish-brown, or black”. IMHO the result looks a little ragtag or patchwork, but not enough to detract from the military bearing of the skiff. Maybe I should dub the effect “lovingly worn”?

Thanks for the comments!

Shaun

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact