 Gaming / 969
Re: QUICK, my scientist need exotic weapons
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 03:53:33 GMT

Hey, I love coming up with stuff like this. We’re always hashing out new
BrikWar stuff and I’m more than happy to have a little brainstorming. One
note, however, is that I'm all about balance; exotic, super weapons have to
have some real drawbacks. I've given a few possible balancing factors to
choose from, if you’re so inclined. You might come up with some more (or
just price the weapon extremely high). None of this has ever been tested so
use at your own risk. I'm also unsure what the cost should be for each
weapon and that can be a big balancing factor in and of itself.

Guns/Rifles:

*Lightning Gun
Fires raging arcs of high voltage. Colorful and pretty (especially at
night), lightning guns can attack multiple targets in a short area and cause
troopers to spaz dance to death.
UR: 4
DMG: 1d6+3 to all targets hit.
Range: 6-8"; hits multiple targets in a 45-degree arc.
CP: ?
Possible Balancing Factors:
On a roll of 1 the gun backfires, jams or otherwise goes haywire doing 2d10
damage in a 4" circle, centered on the unit with the weapon. AND/OR gun has
to charge for at least one round before firing. AND/OR is indiscriminate in
target choices (i.e. will hit friendlies). AND/OR possible to overcharge,
increasing the weapons DMG by +2 for every round overcharged, but increasing
the chance of a backfire by adding 1 to the roll for each round (i.e.
Overcharge by two rounds and the weapon misfires on a roll of 3 instead of
1; but your DMG is 1d6+7 if you hit).

*Sonic Rifle
These weapons emit powerful cones of engineered sound waves that can disrupt
congnetive functions. Troopers hit with a sonic rifle either experience
brief moments of confusion or massive mind warping as thier heads burst into
a pulpy mess.
UR: 3(5)
DMG: 1d6+2
Range: 10" hits mulitple targets in a 45-degree cone to stun; 8" one target
to kill.
CP:?
Possible Balancing Factors:
These weapons can have two settings. Stun or Kill. This is reflected in the
UR. 3 is to stun; 5 is to kill. Stunned targets cannot do much more than
drool for a full turn. Targets wearing a closed helmet cannot be killed (at
least not right off). A successful hit on the Kill setting will shatter a
troopers faceplate and stun him (the stun setting has no effect).
Thereafter, they can be killed. If you're playing with Combined Fire and
using multiple Sonic Rifles, the trooper CANNOT be killed if all shots hit.
The helmet collapses completely, but absorbs all the killing energy. AND/OR
these weapons have little or no effect on walls or other large structures.
AND/OR if fired at at flat wall, or in a confined space, some of the energy
“bounces back” and can affect the user.

*Time Gun
A successful hit with this weapon shifts the trooper into the future by X
turns. As X is unknown, the player who fired the weapon should roll a 1d8
each turn. Place a marker of somekind where the trooper used to stand.
On a 6 the trooper rematerilzes on the spot he left.
On a 7 the trooper returns, but its shifted 1d4 inches, in a random
direction (use a 1d4 for North, South, East, West). If the location is also
a wall, tank, tank, etc. the trooper is instantly turned into a meaty paste.
If the location is another trooper, both units are spooged.
A roll of 8 means the trooper has been visiting an alternate universe and
has convinced several troopers from that universe to return with him. 1d6
new troopers appear with the trooper and they’re dedicated to his cause.
Complete with weapons identical to the trooper that was time shifted.
UR: 3
DMG: Special
Range: 8"
CP:
Possible Balancing Factors:
The balance is sort of built in. You can't control the trooper's movement
through time; or his return location exactly. So it's just as big a chance
to use on your own troops as the enemy (although a trooper removed from
battle, even for a turn, is one less weapon on the battlefield for that
duration). AND/OR it takes a round to recharge AND/OR on a 1 the user
becomes the target with the same results. AND/OR the weapon has a heavy
powerpack to carry or cart around, seriously hampering movement.
This weapon should not work against anything bigger than a trooper on a
mount or in a battlesuit. Although, it might work on things like boulders,
trees and other small objects. A rock rematerialzing inside a tank could
probably do some serious damage. A siege weapons could be built for warping
tanks and flyers to the future, but it should have a big power requirement.
AND/OR maybe a catastrophic failure resets the enemy troops to their
original strength.

Grenades/Bombs
These could fall under the MkII explosive stats. Most of the balancing
factors here involve accidently using this stuff on yourself.

*Vacuum Grenade
These grenades create a negetive atmospheric effect in the blast radius.
Besides instantly sufficating any creature without assisted breathing
(airtanks), it also causes objects just outside the blast radius to be
sucked into the vacuum. Boulders, trees, debris, other troopers and any
other object not nailed down are thrust to the center of the vortex smashing
into each other and whatever might be there as well. So, if a tank were in
the center, it might survive the blast, but suddenly be under assault by
every other object.

*Acid Grenades
More of an anti-vehicle weapons, these grenades spray corrosive acid in the
blast radius. If a trooper survives the blast, they simply pull out an
emergency Kwiky-Wipe and clean off the acid. A vehicle, however, once hit,
will continue to take damage unless cleaned off in water or by a mechanix.
One point of AV damage per turn for each grenade successfully hit. This one
could leave a pool of acid in it's wake and damage any and all units that
move through that area.

*Timmy Grenades
Anti-personal grenade. Turns Troopers into peace-loving Timmys SANS-weapons.
Try not to drop this on friendlies.

Hmmm, I’m sort of running out of steam. If I manage to come up with anymore
before the days end tomorrow, I’ll post them. Good luck with your game. Take
pics if you can, and let everyone know how it turns out. Especially if you
use any of these ideas.

-Evil Wayne
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
http://www.geocities.com/legomaniac70

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Aaron Sneary writes:
My friend Devin and I are playing BrikWars this weekend, and he is planning on
invading the main research facility of PETS (People for the Ethical Treatment
of Scientists) [last week he slaughtered 5 scientists just because his troops
believe in conservative, classic space colors, and the scientists had just
painted their station orange.].

As we know he is invading, we plan to garrison the facility with some decent
troops to protect the scientists whilst they invent exciting new things.
However, I thought it would be a fun surprise if the scientists themselves took
up their exciting new things and blasted the crap out of his Classic Space men.
But BrikWars scientists don't invent blasters and laser rifles. They invent
shrink rays and blame throwers.

PLEASE SUBMIT ANY IDEAS YOU HAVE FOR WACKY WEAPONS (OR DEVICES THAT COULD BE
USED SIMILAR TO WEAPONS) I would love to try out ideas you have had in the past
and haven't playtested, or things that you arm all of your scientist troops
with. I would need to hear from you by Friday afternoon to use them on Sunday.
asneary@shakespearedc.org

Thanks

Aaron