 Events / BrickFest / 1218
Re: PC to VHS Video Conversion Process
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.animation
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:06:29 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Stefan van Zwam writes:
Transferring to video: if you can get a video to play full-screen on your
computer monitor, you can get it to play full-screen on tv by a tv-out port
present on most modern video cards (like many cards in the GeForce series).
Formats that can be played full-screen are .avi and .mpg (Windows Media
Player). QuickTime animations can be converted to .avi using a program
called Axogon Composer. The only format I have my doubts about is RealMedia:
the people at RealNetworks don't really want to have their format
disassembled into something un-real, and their basic player (RealOne) keeps
a control bar in-screen when full-screen is selected.

Stefan - Thanks a lot for this paragraph.  It got me looking at video cards
with output capabilities.  That then led me to take a closer look at the IBM
Thinkpad laptop PC I currently have as my work computer.  That PC has a
S-Video output connection on it.  I vaguely remember looking at this months
ago but because I don't have any kind of device (VCR, TV etc.) with an
S-Video input connection I just figured I was out of luck.

During my research into Video Cards I saw mention of an S-Video to RCA jack
converter.  D'oh! Why didn't someone tell me sooner this creature exists?

One quick trip to Radio Shack later and I had a set up that now allows me to
videotape directly from my laptop PC.

For anyone else who might be interested in trying to duplicate this feat,
here is how I have it set up:

From the S-Video output on the PC I run an S-Video cord to the converter.
This converts to a RCA female jack end.  I then insert a double-male
connector into that and plug it into the Video In jack on my VCR.

For the audio, I have to use the headphone jack on the laptop since there is
no separate audio out line.  Into the headphone jack I plug a Y-Converter
that has a 1/8 inch jack on one end of the cord and standard left/right RCA
audio jacks at the other end.  Those jacks plug into the audio in left/right
inputs on my VCR.

I'm so happy that I can now put my PC-edited animation videos on tape since
that remains the best way for many of my friends and family to view my
projects.  I feel a little bit like an idiot for not realizing I had this
capability for a while now but my joy at being able to finally do this is
overshadowing my self-deprecating feelings.

Thanks again Stefan for the nudge that got me thinking about this subject
some more and led to me figuring out how to accomplish what had always
seemed like beyond me.

Greg