 Events / BrickFest / 1209
Re: Solicitation for ideas for BrickFest 2003 Animation Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:07:14 GMT

Seth, Todd, this is directed to both of you.

The most important issue for us animators is: don't wait for too long!
Making an animation takes time (A Christmas Carol cost me almost half a
year, estimation over 300 hours of continuous work). For BricksWest comedy
competition, we had less than two months, and December isn't a month that
lends much time to animation.

The theme? Personally, I think a music video is general enough to keep the
audience interesting. Other ideas, like limitations on the bricks/figures
that can be used are an interesting challenge to the animator, but can get
boring for an audience that loves seeing videos of Lego creations instead of
wonderful stories that happen to be told in Lego (like we, the animators,
do). We appreciate the fact that minifigs can have emotions, and basically
behave like real-life actors. But do keep an eye on copyright issues.
There's bound to be a local band that is willing to provide music, but
acquiring a song, too, takes time. Once again: the western theme is no
longer on the shelves, and not everyone can order through Shop At Home. On
the other hand, this encourages creativity to work around the issue ;)

Transferring to video: if you can get a video to play full-screen on your
computer monitor, you can get it to play full-screen on tv by a tv-out port
present on most modern video cards (like many cards in the GeForce series).
Formats that can be played full-screen are .avi and .mpg (Windows Media
Player). QuickTime animations can be converted to .avi using a program
called Axogon Composer. The only format I have my doubts about is RealMedia:
the people at RealNetworks don't really want to have their format
disassembled into something un-real, and their basic player (RealOne) keeps
a control bar in-screen when full-screen is selected.

The Lego animation that I can't get to play is yet to be published, so if
you have trouble getting things to work, don't hesitate to mail me: under
normal circumstances you should have a reply within a day.

That said, I want to thank you, Todd, that - despite the criticism received
from the animating community - you still want to give us the opportunity to
show off our work. Without you, there wouldn't have been a festival at
BricksWest, and some people forget that. It's encouraging to hear that
you're not yet tired of this task, and I hope that an animation by me will
be featured at the next festival!

Stefan.
---
New film by YellowHead Studios: