 Events / BrickFest / 1061
Re: My random thoughts and comments on Brickfest 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:22:09 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Scott Lyttle writes:
Some of my random thoughts and ideas to add to the improvement list...

1) Even though MOC judging isn't easy, and before I open up the can of
worms, I've seen some convention contests create a "Master Class",

<snip>
Would that be the "Lindsay Frederick Braun Huge-A** Ship" Award or the "Jeez
Adrian, quit winning all the other categories and give someone else a
chance!" Award?  Knowing that it would affect me, I don't know how to
answer, but you're right, it might be a way to go.  Are people irked at all
that Lindsay and I always seem to come away with prizes?

I don't think that people are too irked, but it might discourage new people
who don't know that you and Lindsay (and just about everybody else) are
really nice people anyway...  but still, just a random thought I picked up
from staffing DragonCon for four years..

   I actually rather like Scott's idea.  The problem with implementation,
   of course, is that the "master class" wouldn't be especially large now
   given that this was only our second year with a major, formal slate
   of awards--and if you give people the choice of where to compete rather
   than using an awards-received basis, they'll generally head for the
   category in which they stand out most.  DragonCon, IIRC, has been
   running for enough years that they can make the precedent system work
   really effectively.  Perhaps having a single "master class" without
   subdivisions, for now, would be the answer?  (But then would well-
   known high-powered builders unable to come in prior years then be
   free to blow away all comers?  Should age categories be a consider-
   ation?) Maybe the steering committee can kick this around a bit
   more for next year's fest.

   all best

   LFB