 Events / BrickFest / 1053
Re: My random thoughts and comments on Brickfest 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:43:49 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Scott Lyttle writes:
To all of Brickfest attendees and organizers,

(snipping positive comments, that I also agree with, except for the
sweatshirt comment because I don't wear sweatshirts)

Some of my random thoughts and ideas to add to the improvement list...

1) Even though MOC judging isn't easy, and before I open up the can of
worms, I've seen some convention contests create a "Master Class", which is
comprised of people who have already won "x" number of awards.  The reason
for this was to prevent the same people from winning each year and causing
much disappointment for new people.  The idea is to place all of our
well-established award winners to be in their own category.  It's still
running around in my head, but something like 1) Master Class Castle, 2)
Master Class Space, 3) Master class train, 4) Master class Technic, 5)
Master class misc, and then maybe 6) Best of Show Master Class. (tentative
idea, open for suggestion/interpertation/discussion/modification/cancellation)

Would that be the "Lindsay Frederick Braun Huge-A** Ship" Award or the "Jeez
Adrian, quit winning all the other categories and give someone else a
chance!" Award?  Knowing that it would affect me, I don't know how to
answer, but you're right, it might be a way to go.  Are people irked at all
that Lindsay and I always seem to come away with prizes?

2) Any announcements made during the morning maybe posted on an information
board (pad on easel, perhaps?) next to registration.  This way late people
can catch any notices.  I figured they might have been there, and I probably
didn't see them....

There was a white-board by the front desk.

3) In addition to posting the schedule by hours, any chance of making a
schedule grid?  maybe put the rooms across the top of the grid, hours down
the side.  This might help to distinguish multiple hour events.  Maybe have
a big one posted at registration each day for people to see, and then
modifications can be made to the "big board"..

Yeah, that'll give the organizers a chance to flex their Microsoft Excel
muscles :)

Anyway, wonderful event, wonderful time, and I agree with everyone who's
said good things about the organizers, the attendees, the sponsors, the
people, and whoever made sure the vending machine stayed stocked with food
and snacks this year.  Thanks everybody!

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com