 Events / BrickFest / 1052
1051  |  1053
Subject:
My random thoughts and comments on Brickfest 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:52:55 GMT

To all of Brickfest attendees and organizers,

I had a great time! While this was my first time attending, I do know what
it's like to organize these events, and how difficult it can be.  Sure,
there are always some complaints, but we all know how hard everybody has
worked on it and it shows!  As I've seen many names all over Lugnet since it
was introduced to me two years ago, it was nice to finally put faces to all
the names.  I'm usually pretty bad with names, but suprisingly, I did quite
well this year! (I guess seeing all the names posted on lugnet helped...)

I can't say enough about the openness, friendliness, and comraderie that
exists amongst all of us Lego enthusiasts...

for those of you that went to the outlet on Sunday, I hope everybody likes
their sweatshirts that I kept pitching to sell...remember those sweatshirts
are great for building in the winter!

I think a special thanks goes out to Lego direct and the outlet store for
being kind, considerate, and recognizing us... (and giving discounts!)

While I think Brickfest was great, everything is open to suggestion and
improvement.  I'm not intending to say anything bad about Brickfest (in
fact, no complaints at all...just some new ideas to throw into the mix for
next year)...

Some of my random thoughts and ideas to add to the improvement list...

1) Even though MOC judging isn't easy, and before I open up the can of
worms, I've seen some convention contests create a "Master Class", which is
comprised of people who have already won "x" number of awards.  The reason
for this was to prevent the same people from winning each year and causing
much disappointment for new people.  The idea is to place all of our
well-established award winners to be in their own category.  It's still
running around in my head, but something like 1) Master Class Castle, 2)
Master Class Space, 3) Master class train, 4) Master class Technic, 5)
Master class misc, and then maybe 6) Best of Show Master Class. (tentative
idea, open for suggestion/interpertation/discussion/modification/cancellation)

2) Any announcements made during the morning maybe posted on an information
board (pad on easel, perhaps?) next to registration.  This way late people
can catch any notices.  I figured they might have been there, and I probably
didn't see them....

3) In addition to posting the schedule by hours, any chance of making a
schedule grid?  maybe put the rooms across the top of the grid, hours down
the side.  This might help to distinguish multiple hour events.  Maybe have
a big one posted at registration each day for people to see, and then
modifications can be made to the "big board"..

4) I noticed there were sheets taped to the signs outside each door.  Any
ideas about incorporating themes or ideas onto the pages (i.e. have a large
"Classic Space" logo in the center of the page outside the classic space
room...or a knight on a horse for the castle room...I'd even be willing to
help out a little (Don't ask me why I like to help out so much...I should
just shut up about stuff and just go with the flow...)

5) FRED NEEDS BODY ARMOR AND STRONGER WHEELS (ok, that was a joke.. for all
of you who didn't see the mindstorms competition..)

Oh, one last thing,

If anybody wants directions on how to hotwire the trunk release on a car so
you can get to your keys (that got locked in the trunk) when you are just
about to go to the Lego outlet, just let me know.. I'll be making a flyer
for next year....

I will be making my plans for Brickfest 2003!
Scott Lyttle