 Events / 636
Re: BrickFest: Classic Lego presentation/discussion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:21:13 GMT

Hey,

This sounds interesting.  Wish I was going to be there.  Maybe it's going
away from your theme, but one suggestion would be to look at the evolution
of the fig.  Previous people built with bricks, to the "homemaker" people:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/200_1
to the minifigs with no arms or moving legs, to the classic smiley, to the
multitude of faces we have today.  Also the off-shoot Fabuland and Duplo and
Creator/Jack Stone figs could be discussed.

Another issue of interest to me is the question of scale.  Skimming through
old sets, it seems like scale is all over the place.  Then with the
evolution of the minifig scale gets fixed to that size (except for Technic,
Model Team, SW UCS sets, etc).  What are the implications of using one
particular scale.

Another issue I could think of is the issue of instructions.  In my first
set (111, Universal Building Set (I think)) there were no instructions, but
instead there was just this booklet of photographs of different models.  Now
the majority of sets are to make one particular car/spaceship/building with
instructions for that model.

Bruce