 Education / 257

Subject:
Look what you can build in twenty minutes!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:17:38 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Here’s the result of a twenty-minute building frenzy:

What is it? A big blue castle? A very wobbly ocean? A sombrero? No! It’s a cosine. Really and truly.

Here’s how I built it in twenty minutes:

1) I didn’t build it. 2) I had students build it. 3) And I didn’t even have my students build it. 4) I had someone else’s students build it. So I guess it isn’t a MOC. It’s an OOC (our own creation).

Perhaps I should elaborate. Last semester, our Calculus III students learned double integration the old-fashioned way. They each built slices out of Lego bricks using instructions I whipped up; when they lined up their slices (with the help of letter tiles), they ended up with the surface defined by z=7+6cos(x^2+y^2). Isn’t that great?

After building a coarse approximation using 2x2s, my colleague Julian used it to show how double integration works. I love this photo!

Then, like all good calculus lessons, we tried a smaller delta x by adding 1x1s to the models. You see the result in the top photo. The class ended up with a beautiful model they had built themselves--and knew how to build again (should they ever need to teach double integration).

I knew I’d reached them when later that night one student hollered at me from across the grocery store. Yeah! Math celebrity!

The story doesn’t end there. I suppose we could have tried an even smaller delta x with Modulex, but no: I took the show on the road and made the model bigger!

Of course, I didn’t build any of this one, either. It was the work of other mathematicians, students, and even parents. But that’s a story for another day.

Hope everyone’s enjoying summer vacation!

-Teddy

Re: Look what you can build in twenty minutes!
   Here’s the result of a twenty-minute building frenzy: • (snip) Of course, I didn’t build any of this one, either. It was the work of other mathematicians, students, and even parents. But that’s a story for another day.

Hope everyone’s enjoying summer vacation!

-Teddy

Teddy,

This is Cool, and a great story! Any thoughts about contributing an article about this to BrickJournal?

Scott Lyttle

Re: Look what you can build in twenty minutes!