 Castle / 9359
9358  |  9360
Subject:
Sorry Anthony (was Re: Lugnet has a problem) plz read
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 16:13:27 GMT

Anthony,
I 'm posting because I was the person that possibly branded you a
complainer.  I'd like you to read this whole post objectively, so I'd like
to offer my apology in advance, hoping that you'll see a few things
differently, and continue to be a part of the lugnet posting community.

No one can have their own opinion if it differs from everyone elses.

In fact, the reasons that all of the folks counterposting are different from
each other proves that there is room for differing opinions. The issue is
not with having differing opinions, it's about being able to substantiate
them.  There are a lot of us folks who don't just disagree with your
opinion, we also think that it doesn't hold up when probed.

If they do, they are attacked.  Read the posts that were in reply to my own,
stating my discontent with the re-release of the Castle set the Guarded Inn.

I think that a lot of the responses that we recieve in life, not just
newsgroups, have to do with how we present ourselves initially.  I would
question the purpose of a post as strong, opinionated, and antagonistic as
your initial one?  Were you expecting to make those bold and sweeping
statements, that you are perfectly welcomed to make, and not be asked to
support them?  Your header (Re: Worth the wait? (NO!)). is very aggressive.
I believe that we all thought you were interested in debating this.  Most of
the initial posts question the veracity of your claims.  Not your right to
make them.  I've had to eat crow after I've spoken boldly on lugnet.  It
doesn't mean I'm not welcome, or able to offer a different oppinion.

Because if YOU don't care
about what I have to say, then I have no reason to say anything, do I?  Don't
think this is some isolated case, either.  I have stated my opinions all over
lugnet, and I am either looked over, ignored, or beaten down.

I think that if we didn't care about what you have to say, no one would have
replied to your initial post.  I'm sorry if you feel like an outcast, I'll
try harder to look for ways to be inclusive here.

Forgive me for being me.  In all reality, I should never post again, as I cannot see a really
good reason to.  But because there are the select few whom I care about here on
lugnet, and they care about me, I would think, I shall not leave entirely.  As
for the rest of you, well, I hope God gives you the good graces to understand
those who are just a little different than the pack.

It's not that we don't understand you, or think you shouldn't have your own
opinion, as you keep pointing out, it's that you should be ready to defend
your opinions beyond the opening rant.  the ground you stand on with your
arguments isn't very firm logically speaking.  I haven't seen you address
the factual issues as of yet.  You claimed we didn't read your post, It
doesn't seem like you've understood ours.  It also seems you've
misunderstood what strong statements you made with little effort made to
defend them.  The fact that there are so many comments made about the same
problematic statements should show you that the errors you've made in
judgement are fairly easy to spot.

Because I don't rate that set highly and would rather see another in its >place,I am branded a 'complainer about all that lego does.'

Here is where I apologise.  The day that the surprise was announced, I made
a prediction that there would be someone who would complain about the set's
re-release. (I didn't think it would be you, so I wasn't planning on
assasinating your character) It always happens, no matter what Lego does for
this "community", someone judges that act based on it's "personal" benefit
to themselves.  This type of behaviour fosters a spirit of dissatisfaction
within a group, and promotes an image of corporate selfishness in that
community.
While I personally get sick of seeing this type of thing among adults, I
WENT TOO FAR WHEN I POSTED THE SECOND TIME, NAMING YOU THE COMPLAINT WINNER.
that was very wrong of me, and I understand that it hurt your feelings.  You
are not the biggest whiner or complainer on lugnet, I do not hold any anger
or negative feelings towards you, and I have appreciated your work and posts
here on lugnet.  It would be a shame to see you leave, over an insensitive
remark that I am responsible for.  I apologise for being rude, and I hope
that you will accept my apology.
I really wasn't trying to offend you personally, but I understand that I did.

I hope that you will read this and see it as not only an effort to help
clear up a misunderstanding, but also an olive branch and apology.
sincerely, Jon Furman