 Castle / 4745
Sticker files: Tudor Walls, Guarded Inn Sign
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 00:45:34 GMT

Hey Y'all:

I have been doing considerable experimenting with making stickers for lego
from Avery 8165 full sheet and 6490 Diskette removable labels.  Some of the
results are pretty impressive.  From the distance of even 1 foot I can usually
not distinguish easily between stickers v. printed elements.  The problem has
been that I am using an inkjet printer for color printing.  As a result, I
have learned that practically the only way to make such a printer print pure
yellow without dithering is through Adobe Illustrator (I have ver. 7), and the
graphics are often much improved by being redone as vector graphics.  Mind
you, red cannot be printed from such a device without dithering because it
results from a combination of other colors in the CMYK spectrum.  I haven't
really tried for system blue yet...

So, I am thinking of redoing my bitmapped versions of the Guarded Inn sign and
yellow and red Tudor walls as vector graphics in Illustrator.  And if there is
interest (10 or more persons), I will create a site from which my files can be
downloaded as Illustrator files(yellow non-dithering) and jpegs(which will
dither except for the black and white tudor walls).  But you must let me
know...

The yellow and black walls come out pretty good, AND I can print yellow corner
walls (to my knowledge an element never made by TLC).  So yeah, that means a
yellow tudor walled Guarded Inn with sign!  The parts you will need are common
black regular and corner castle walls, one of those black ninja clip flags,
and presuming you have a stock of grey bits and black roof bricks (and those
generally common other elements) -- Voila!  A poor man's Guarded Inn! I happen
to have built one already for myself.  And even the black castle maiden hat
will do for your serving wench...although I have several red hats even so.

If you really want a red (or even white) walled Inn, I have also made plain
black and white tudor regular and corner castle walls (for red you will need a
red marking pen with a thick tip or perhaps Dr. Martin's Radiant Concentrated
Water Colors and nice brush -- something like that).

BTW, I could use a REALLY GOOD scan of the Guarded Inn sign if there are any
helpful persons out there.  The scan I have is from this site:

http://www114.pair.com/ig88/images/pieces.jpg

and while its better than nothing (and my knockoff is quite good even so), it
would be GREAT to get a good scan of this little sign from which to build the
vector version.

Feedback will be very much appreciated.  Send scans to me at:
blueofnoon@aol.com

-- Richard

P.S. I just dashed this off, so I hope its coherent...now I must go party!