 Castle / 3890
Re: Castle Pictures Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:45:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Aaron West writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Chris Phillips writes:

I finally posted a couple pictures of the castle/keep that I built for the
NELUG window display at The Construction Site.  (Yes, that's a grey 48x48
baseplate that it's built on.)

There's no interior yet, but the window display is still well over a month
away...

Let me know what you think.

Impressive.
Most impressive.
You have quite a large structure there.
What made you decide to use the large baseplate rather than smaller hinged
sections?  Or do you have a lifting roof for interior access?

Initially I used the large baseplate to make it easier to build.  The primary
purpose of this building is for a window display where an interior would be
(mostly) wasted plastic.  The current castle is a big, empty shell -- the
floorplan exists only in my imagination.

But I do intend to make an interior soon.  I was originally thinking about
making each story removable to reveal the contents of the floor beneath.  But
after thinking about it some more, I like the hinged approach better, because
it provides full access to the interior as a whole.  If done correctly, the
castle could open out like a doll house to look even larger and more
impressive than it is.  This also has the benefit that you can access the
whole interior at once instead of only being able to play with one floor at a
time.

I also like the idea of going to several hinged baseplates because that will
let me move up to a 64x64 foundation footprint!  (Looks like I'm gonna need to
get me some more bricks!)

You can guess what I'll be doing this weekend!