 Castle / 2828
Re: Set 4811 - small poly bag set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:39:06 GMT

Bill Farkas wrote:
How are most people using this fig, as a mounted soldier or as a foot soldier?
Sword, spear or axe? I'm undecided, I think they would look great on horses but
I'm not sure if the helmet is appropriate.

I'm personally using a lot of them as mounted soldiers - that plate armor
looks
great - but with different helmets.  They also function pretty well as pikemen -
I use some of my extra lance/flagpoles as pikes, and it works pretty well.

Was this helmet for a particular
form of combat/usage or is the rim for looks and not function?

As near as I can tell, the helmet seems to be a 'chapel de fer' (French,
literally "iron hat") with an attached mail coif.  It was worn from the 12th
century well into the 17th century, often (especially in the later years) by
pikemen.

As an aside, I'm thinking about writing up an article for my web page on LEGO
arms and armor - and what they are (or are likely to represent) in the real
world.  I need to get out to the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester again, and
take my digital camera this time...try to get some pictures of the RL versions
of some of the LEGO stuff.

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m