 Castle / 18461
18460  |  18462
Subject:
GFLUG at Festival of the Masters - Large Castle Display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:28:38 GMT

This past weekend Friday Nov 7 thru Sunday Nov 9, the Greater Florida LEGO Users
Group was asked to display at the Festival of the Masters which is the 28th
annual art show in Downtown Disney near the LIC.
It was essentially a 2 man show with the theme "East meets West" so Lenny
Hoffman from Tallahassee was the Western castle half and I was tasked with
building for the Eastern castle half.
The layout was 8 or 9 green baseplates wide and 19 green baseplates long on all
of the days.

All pictures after moderation:

The first day (Nov 7) pictures were from LIC200311_01 through LIC200311_25 and
had the 2 large castles on opposite diagonals with a river running between the
castles.
The second day (Nov 8) pictures were from LIC200311_26 through LIC200311_39 and
the river was moved to run the entire length of the table on one side and the 2
castles now faced each other with a more narrow front for the armies to face
each other.
The third day (Nov 9) pictures were from LIC200311_40 through LIC200311_50 again
had the 2 castles on opposite diagonals but now there is a large lake in the
center with the hill and waterfall and the 2 armies splitting the armies to
encircle the lake and a small skirmish between some samurai and the forest men
occurring in the waters of the lake.

We had a blast doing this and I want to thank Lenny for partnering up with me on
this great castle display.

The Japanese castle is based on Himeji Castle in its full glory and with some
kuruwa (outworks) and a large gatehouse.

The European castle is based on the 3CS and wall sections were about evenly
split between Lenny and I but the entire inside works was done by Lenny.  It had
a large amount of wonderful detail and housing including the Dragon dung shop,
the forestmen band, the medieval dentist, vendors, smithy, etc.  All great
detail work by Lenny.

The samurai army consisted of 154 men including all the castle house guards and
Lenny's army and townspeople numbered about 160 (about 20 from my collection) so
a sizable army was presented for viewing.

Comments appreciated !!
KK Quah
President GFLUG