 Castle / 16714
Re: Manor House of DUDE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:58:51 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Twan Theeuwen writes:
Hi Leonard,

"leonard hoffman" <glencaer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:HDE31s.18Ks@lugnet.com...

I like the way it opens up in several different ways, especially
the use of apex roof bricks in one part is a smart solution.
Whenever I try to build a structure that folds open, I find
that it somehow doesn't work and tear the contraption apart.

the apex roof concept was shamelessly stolen from dan siskind, the
"l-g-k" of castle lego.  i find it is a really cool way to avoid • having to
put a "tile layer" like i did with the workroom:

Indeed, using the apex roof is an elegant solution to this problem,
I appreciate it.

the problem with the apex roof solution is here:
if you look closely, you'll see that you can see the edge of the apexes, which
means the solution can only be best used when both edges of the roof are
covered by something (another wall or whatever).

A solution for the using a tile layer I tried was to include a layer
of
plates between every layer of roof bricks. But the resulting roof
was at best mildly pleasing to the eye, and I got a very steep roof.
Using it with 33 degree slopes, to make it less steep, looked even
more funky. Not convincing at all.

When trying to use hinges in the other, perpendicular direction
there are always problems with an overhang or protruding roof.
The standard solution seems to be to use the hinges in a chimney,
Blacksmith Shop like. But this results in fireplace splitting in two,
which I don't like. But then again, easy for me to criticize, but I
don't have better solutions myself.

spliting the fireplace really bugs me too, especially in the Blacksmith Shop,
because it is such a cool fireplace!  you can only see it by shining a
flashlight (or torch) into a window and looking through.

my solution to that is this:
have the fireplace itself offset from the chimney by a stud or two, thus
keeping the fireplace in tact and still use the chimney as the hinge.

But the chief problem with the chimney solution is that you can't be creative
with where you put your chimneys!  they HAVE to go on the divide, and I think
that can be kinda frustrating.

I don't know what "l-g-k" stands for. Some guesses are "Lego-
geek-king" or maybe "legitimite-grand-knight"? :-)
Anyway, I'm aware of Dan Siskind's deserved reputation.

I used it meaning "Lord-God-King", which is what I'd proclaim myself if I
became ruler of the world.  'Furher', 'El Duce', 'Caesar', and 'Emperor' all
seem to miss the real point that Lord-God-King really hits home.

But "Lego-Geek-King" fits exceedingly well in this situation.

==
And Since we're talking about hinge solutions, one I've recently stolen from
Jon Furman is what I'd call the "high and low" hinge solution.
here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=376139
and here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=360471

You only put a hinge (a small one, like a plate hinge) at the bottom and the
top.  it is small so people tend not to notice it as much, but still gets the
job done.  furthermore, you can have it extend out to the roof's edge, thus
also allowing the roof overhang.  it works best with tudor style, because you
are using the black plates anyway.

my biggest problem with it is the the building isn't very stable during the
construction, and clutzy people like me will prolly have to rebuild different
sections alot.

My favorite part of this problem is that there are several solutions, but each
has its own problems and weaknesses.. which means that there is still room to
actively figure out new solutions and push forward lego castle building!

OK, OK, I'm convinced ;-)
I decided to add interior into my next MOC. But I'll make it
accessible by using different modules connected with technic
bricks and pegs and removable roofs.

can't wait to see!  removable roofs have their own list of problems and
solutions...

zeus had this big headache one day, so he had hephestus (sp)
give a smack to his head with a hammer, and out sprung
athena, the goddess of war and wisdom.

That one goes into the category "don't try this at home kids" :-)

vive le crackhead

'ooray pour la tête du craque, Twan.

dime lo, -lenstarakhan