Re: Elections and Membership in ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:20:08 GMT

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:20:24PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Why not? ldraw.org would presumably be (by Bylaws provision) banned from
selling the info, and would presumably be bound to take all reasonable care
with the information. Those restrictions (which would take a lot of work to
ever change, by design) don't apply to commercial entities.

my only problem, is since I know what "reasonable care" is, it's really
not much.

Or are you saying that all entities, commercial or not, have to make privacy
provisions? If so, why not just say so?

I'm not sure I believe in "privacy provisions" - since it's in lawyer
talk, it's usual not possible for the average user to actually know what
they say - I know that when I do bother to read them, I'm not any more
enlightened than I was before.  So no, I'm not saying that at all.

Have we exhaustively enumerated the possible verification schemes? I didn't
think we had, but we seem to be picking some of them apart, so maybe we're done.

I couldn't think of any others, but I'm sure there's more options
available.  Perhaps I'll ask the perl mongers tomorrow, see what really
big boys do.

Dan, you stated that just taking people's word that they were unique wasn't
sufficient. What is the comfort level you think we need to get to? And what
schemes for getting there pass your own internal test of "secure enough for
this but not too intrusive"? I'd like to see you put some proposals on the
table.

I was under the impression that we were allowed to comment without
having a replacement idea.  I'm not actually saying we even NEED all
this verification - just that we need to think about it.

In my mind, I'd like to see something that requires more than 2 minutes
to spoof.  The postcard idea floated could work, but it's not nearly
fast enough for instant gratification.  Then again, if membership is
only required for voting, it might not really be a big deal.

Dan