 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 1053
Re: Bricksmith 2.4: Faster. Much Faster.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:38:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Remi Gagne wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Allen Smith wrote:

By the way, Bricksmith does not render conditional lines. I consider shading to be a sufficient substitute, and conditional lines sound difficult to optimize.

Heh, you hit that problem too? I’ve played around writing an OpenGL LDraw renderer based exclusively on display lists, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to handle conditional lines in this setup. Has anyone else solved this peculiarly specific problem?

You can ignore the conditional lines and achieve the same effect with display lists using the stencil buffer techniques presented here:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/sig99/advanced99/notes/node108.html

And here’s a silhouette technique using BFC:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.71.8503&rep=rep1&type=pdf

This technique and the conditional lines both target the same edges lines where the front facing polygons meet the back facing polygons, so the results should be quite similar.