 CAD / Development / LDraw Connection Database / 14
Re: Re[2]: Movement and friction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.lcd
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:10:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, Kiss Attila Csongor (KACS) writes:

I don't know. If we call it to friction I agree with you.
But I think there must be a rotation properti for the grey
pin, and no rotation allowed to the black one (still connector).
I think it would be the easiest way to handle the pins as connectors.
And over the LCD the LMPL (as the higher layer) will give an addition
properties to it (similarly to the object oriented programming).
How about this?

I agree. Although I called it friction, I didn't mean the true physical
property. It seems to me that the difference between grey pins and black
pins is structural in nature: they are different connectors from a builder's
point of view. I think this difference belongs to the LCD level, because I
think it is a difference in the way things connect.

I am not convinced by the need for more than a simple on/off property. I
don't think I have ever seen a design which uses the black pin's ability to
rotate after construction, and I can't imagine using it myself. Of course,
if you want to check that your design is strong enough, you must model this,
but this surely does belong to the LMPL level, along with the tensile
strength of connections.

Barney.