 CAD / Development / LDraw Connection Database / 11
Re: Movement and friction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.lcd
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:24:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.lcd, Barney Hilken writes:
I was thinking of friction as a simple on/off property: connections with
friction only move during construction, whereas connections without are free
to move under gravity or inertia or other forces during animation of the
final model. Is this too simplistic?

I think it probably is. The situations I'm thinking about are:

1. axles in technic bricks, which fit your "no friction" model;
2. the light grey low-friction pins, which could also fit the "no friction"
model (with regard rotation);
3. the black friction pins, which can rotate in the final model, but with
significantly more friction than 1 or 2 (ie can resist gravity up to a point).

There are probably other cases too, but I think there'd need to be at least 3
levels of friction (low, medium, high) to cover the friction pins (with low &
high corresponding to your off & on settings).

The next tricky thing to model is rubber bands, then comes chains...

ROSCO