 CAD / Development / 9534
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:29:48 GMT

I just start a new sub-thread to discuss two very important points where I
thought over two nights now:

The location of the ini file and environment variables!

I would not recommend to go with both solutions, because its source for
possible errors and confusion for the user. The thing is what would be the
first thing to consider for a software - what if environment variables and
ini files contain path definitions but different ones? I would prefere to go
with the ini file variant only - even if some of you have implemented this
strategy already - this should not be a point, also I have to discard my
current implementation on this topic.
Also I have something in mind - correct if I'm wrong - but Java does not
support this environment varables very well - and as we mentioned earlier
they are very dependend on the operating system.

An other thing regards the location of the ini file. In past weeks I got
several questions regarding the central installation of LDraw and MLCad,
where universities and schools are trying to install everything on a server,
read-only for the user. Users should either not have the possiblity to
change configs ore should be restricted somehow.
- Now having a ini file in the windows directory would not support this
approach, and personaly I'm not a favorite of spamming the windows system
directories with private files (even if some windows variants do that on
theire own :-)
So my suggestion is to have one ini file in the ldraw directory itself, and
another one optionally in the users home directory.

So what is your opinion on that points?

Michael