 CAD / Development / 9567
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:33:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann wrote:
An other thing regards the location of the ini file. In past weeks I got
several questions regarding the central installation of LDraw and MLCad,
where universities and schools are trying to install everything on a server,
read-only for the user. Users should either not have the possiblity to
change configs ore should be restricted somehow.

How will such an installation be laid out?

Will users install MLCad on their local machine and
MLCad will then first thing ask the user to locate the LDrawDir,
which the user specifies as e.g. L:\LDraw or \\server\LDraw ?

If the search path should also contain \\server\ExtraParts
then you can not place that information in \\server\LDraw\ldraw.ini
if \\server\LDraw is used from Unix clients also.
These clients would expect e.g. /net/server/ExtraParts in the ldraw.ini.

How do we solve that?
How can the user or administrator specify where to find ldraw.ini?

I'm beginning to understand why you want ldraw.ini in LDrawDir.
Then you can place ExtraParts below LDrawDir,
i.e. \\server\LDraw\ExtraParts, and the search path would include
<LDRAWDIR>\ExtraParts which is usable on all platforms.
/Lars