 CAD / Development / 9485
9484  |  9486
Subject:
LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:45:52 GMT

Several users have asked for an option to L3P for specifying additional search paths for parts.
LDView already has implemented "Extra Search Dirs" to search after the usual ones.

I think it would be of common interest and for the benefit of the community if we could agree on
THE way to do it, so I'll make the following proposal (as a starting point):

Two environment variables LDRAWPREDIRS and LDRAWPOSTDIRS
can be used to specify additional search directories.
Each variable can contain multiple directories separated by a |.
The search path will then be:
1. Inside the document if it is an MPD
2. The document's directory (the directory of the main model)
3. Any directories in %LDRAWPREDIRS%
4. %LDRAWDIR%\P
5. %LDRAWDIR%\PARTS
6. %LDRAWDIR%\MODELS
7. Any directories in %LDRAWPOSTDIRS%

Environment variables are preferred, because they work on all platforms.
However, on Windows, if they are not set, ldraw.ini is then checked.
A sample ldraw.ini may look like this:
[LDraw]
BaseDirectory=C:\LDraw
LgeoDirectory=C:\L2P
PreDirectories=C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\In Work
PostDirectories=C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\Done|C:\LDrawXtra\UnOff

Other namings: LDRAWDIRPRE, LDRAWDIRSPRE, - you name it!
/Lars