 CAD / Development / 9491
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:20:06 GMT

Hi,

Just to give my two cents ...

"Lars C. Hassing" <sp.lars@am.hassings.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Several users have asked for an option to L3P for specifying additional • search paths for parts.
LDView already has implemented "Extra Search Dirs" to search after the
usual ones.

LDView got its implementation after a preview release of MLCAD 3.01, which
includes this feature already.

<SNIP>

The idea with environment variables is not bad, though there are two major
disadvantages against the methode implemented in MLCad (which uses some ini
file entries to define the search path, including an option for the user
wether the entry shell be visible for selection or not):

1) It doesn't allow to define paths inbetween the standard search paths,
which is a disadvantage sometime.
2) You do not have any chance to hide subparts and primitives from the users
view.

The implementation in MLCad uses ini file entries (currently MLCad.ini but
can be in any other file as well here I'm totaly open) and starts with a
section
[SCAN_ORDER]

followed by one or more path definitions, each beginning with either HIDE or
SHOW followed by the path. The path can contain spaces.
HIDE would make parts found in this path invisible to the user, but include
it when searching for parts, while SHOW would make the parts in this
directory visible to the user.

Example:
HIDE BFC\P
HIDE BFC\Parts
HIDE P
SHOW Parts
SHOW MODELS
SHOW MODELS\TEST

When looking for a part, MLCad will take the part first found going through
the directory list from top to bottom, other parts with same name in later
directories will be ignored. This mechanism allows the definition of
unofficial parts in a path following the official paths. Once the part
becomes official, the user would get the correct image without event have to
take care.

However and whatever comes out, I must say I would be rather disappointed if
the solution is totaly different from that what I invented and would have
less outcome for the user than my solution.

Michael