 CAD / Development / 9499
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:50:56 GMT

As has already been stated, Willy asked if I could add a feature to LDView to
allow it to view models that are created in MLCad using the new feature of the
MLCad beta version.  It seemed like a reasonable request, so I added the
feature, which made it into the latest LDView release.

Note that my implementation has some restrictions, which may or may not remain
in future versions.  First of all, I only take absolute paths (selected
graphically).  Second, all the extra directories get searched after the standard
directories.

Additionally, while LDView pays attention to the LDRAWDIR environment variable
and the ldraw.ini file, it doesn't modify either when the user graphically
chooses their ldraw directory.  The same is true for my extra search
directories.  If the community comes up with a standard way of specifying them,
I will likely add detection of this standard way to LDView, but I don't have any
particularly strong preferences about the form that "standard" specification
takes.  I will also retain my LDView-specific way (accessed via my graphical
dialog box).

The thing is, while standard ways are good, it can be problematic to give the
user a graphical user interface to nicely configure things.  I'm not sure how to
set permanent environment variables in Windows (or if it's even possible from a
user app).  And while I could easily update the ldraw.ini file, I would feel
uncomfortable doing so, since LDView isn't the "owner" of that file.

--Travis Cobbs