 CAD / Development / 9327
Re: Math Problem Again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:43:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Paul Easter wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Ronan Webb wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:
You are given three 3d cooridates.

(snip) <
If possible, I would like an Excel spreadsheet, but just the formula will do.

TIA,
/Tore

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/geometry/planeeq/

(snip) <
Having worked these out (i.e. this has given you the A,B,C,D in
A.x + B.y + C.z + D = 0) just plug in your fourth point's x and y co-ords
(say x4 and y4) into this equation i.e. let x=x4 and let y=y4
This gives you the equation for z4 that you are looking for viz.
A.x4 + B.y4 +C.z4 +D =0 (where now the only thing you don't know is z4)
rearranging this is just
z4=(-D -A.x4 - B.x4)/C

Then again, it's late :)

Hey!  cool!   where was this info when I wrote my calculator program?  It would have made it alot easier. The calculator grew into a slightly different purpose though. it was for helping determine where to trim lines and quads at intersection points.

The last formula had a typo, here it is corrected.
z4=(-D -A.x4 - B.y4)/C

Yes, I saw that, too.

Tore, I will email you the spreadsheet I put this information into.

Paul

Thanks for the offer, but I have already made a working spreadsheet. :)
Now, all I have to do is try to automate it with some VBS.

/Tore