 CAD / Development / 8804
Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:57:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:

Yup.  But unfortunatly you want to combine open things (tubes) with closed
loops (bands), and the program is fundamentally *not* written for that.
Bummer.

Not to worry, combining things is more of a stretch goal (if you'll pardon
the pun). Just one is good enough for now.

Then your generic approach is the wrong one for you.  Why not just hard code
what you want now in your own private copy (as a make shift tube I guess), and
do with it what you will.

Maybe that's the way to go. I think actually I would go with Band and then
hand edit away the 1/2 (of the synthesized elements generated) that wasn't
needed because in most of my string uses, the string is taut.

I plan on whacking on LSynth pretty hard after I get to a good pausing
point in LPub.  I'm a good candidate for adding what you want.

Let me think more on requirements for specifying elements to be used in
synthesis generically, then. At first blush I think the key things are:

- x,y,z dimensions of the element (with one axis assumed to be the
centerline axis, either always by convention or you have to specify which
axis it is)
- center point of the element (to allow for non symmetric elements)
- Do successive usages of the element have to be mirrored (or placed back to
back)? (my string does)
- Do successive usages of the element have to be rotated around the
centerline of the element and if so, by how much (a high fidelity string
element that properly models triplestrandedness but is short enough to
conform to small radius things may well need to do so as it will be too
short for 120 degrees worth of strand being within the element)

any others?