 CAD / Development / 8778
  Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth  [DAT]

Kevin I've created an element that represents a small segment of string. It's not a real, legitimate LDraw part, per se, but I find it useful in my modeling. Is it possible to get LSynth to use this element? I'm looking for it to be treated similar (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Not currently. (...) Thanks for buying the book. You are right, it does not cover this. Currently LSynth only supports either open ended or closed loop. No mixing. (...) Yes. It would. There are a *number* of things it cannot do.... yet! (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) But since you've made the source for lsynth available, there's no reason why Larry couldn't attempt to add the string part to the code himself and then submit the patches to you for official approval. Right? Isn't that the whole point of (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Absolutely! Good point! (...) Kevin (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Except for time/skill/interest. (mostly time) (...) I'm thinking that just allowing for a level of indirection might do the trick. If you added a way to just specify what part you wanted used for the stringing together, and allowed it to be (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) flex (...) I assume the lack of interest is in the coding, not the using :^) I have a similar lack of time. Kevin (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) If I recall, it was Kevin's lack of time that prompted him to open up the lsynth code and solicit your help. (I think he may have mentioned you specifically ;) Also, I imagine you could argue that contributing to lsynth satisfies requirement 3 (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Ya. I have made good use of LSynth for hoses and for rubber bands in my current project and found it easy to use so I'm definitely interested in using it!!!! (...) OK, well maybe you've shamed me into taking a look. I just went to sourceforge (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Sorry, not intending to shame you. You are looking in the right place, but I'm a neophyte on source forge. Don, what have I failed to do? Thanks, Kevin (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) I found the code (I was looking for released files, not in the CVS tree) and have extracted it (via WinCVS) to take a look... (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) I'm not sure. What are you trying to do? If just you're looking to browse the code, then follow the "Browse CVS" link near the bottom of the page at the URL given above. If you want upload changes to the code you'll have to get a CVS program (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Letting me peek at the changes would be cool, but feel to check it in. (...) Will you package a source release please? (...) Thanks, Kevin (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) OK, I did a little digging. If I understand what I am reading, the various types of things that can be synthesized are defined with constants in the lsynth.h include. Elsewhere in the code these constants are checked (driven by what's found in (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:HDrH7u.1FKp@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) You can get a full complemnt of Unix utilities for your PC (including Make) by installing Cygwin (which is free): (URL) It has a (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) I think I'll email it to you first this time. It looks like I must have implemented some of the changes mentioned in this thread here. (URL) a fix for the UPPERCASING bug and some stuff for UNITS, LENGTH and subfile NAMEs, but I don't remember (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) You read undocumented code quite well! (...) Yup. But unfortunatly you want to combine open things (tubes) with closed loops (bands), and the program is fundamentally *not* written for that. Bummer. (...) Will the element do for now? Maybe we (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) I'll have to scope it out. (...) :^) by your ownb admission you have more experience than me, because I've never done it at all! If you would please I would be eternally gratefull. Kevin (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Thanks Mike. Meanwhile I just installed make-3.79.1 and it makes lsynthcp OK without needing to install MSys. Gotta think about whether I want Cygwin or not... it's not like I don't have a bazillion other things I should be working on instead. (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Not to worry, combining things is more of a stretch goal (if you'll pardon the pun). Just one is good enough for now. (...) Maybe that's the way to go. I think actually I would go with Band and then hand edit away the 1/2 (of the synthesized (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Hi all, I have rewritten much of LSynth's code so that it is table driven. Currently the tables are coded in the program, but the important thing is that definitions of synthesized things are tabular. I've added a string type that uses your (...) (19 years ago, 15-Feb-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

(...) Kevin- Is this enhanced LSynth program available for download anywhere yet? All I can find so far is 2.0 on your web site here (URL) I'm looking forward to things like string! -Matt :) (19 years ago, 28-Sep-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Use of arbitrary elements with LSynth

In lugnet.cad.dev, Matthew J. Chiles wrote: I'll go home and release it. I have an LPub with fixes too. Kevin (19 years ago, 28-Sep-05, to lugnet.cad.dev)