 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5693
Re: Question about "stickers"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:08:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Mark Chittenden wrote:
So far, the only standard I've found about modeling sticker "parts" is that
they should be 0.25 LU off the surface of the piece they will be "stickered"
to. What about width & length compared to the surface? I.E: sticker for
shields - should they extend to the edge of the shield or perhaps 1 LU in
from the edge?

Here's a test of what I mean. The one on the left has the sticker to the edge
of the shield, the one on the right has the sticker "cut" all around by 1 LU.
Personally, I want to go with the "cut" style.
--SNIP PIC--

Hi Mark,

I would assume that if it is a user created sticker you can put it where you
want. For official stickers I assume you make them the same size as the original
sticker. Which sort do you mean?

I suspect the 0.25 LDU is probably so that it looks like a sticker and so that
display software has a fixed distance to consider things as 'different' points
(so that for example (1,0,0) and (1.1,0,0) might be treated as the same point
while (1,0,0) and (1.2,0,0) would be different).

But I am not on the LSC so these are just guesses.

Tim