 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5666
Re: Conditional lines on sloped wedge parts 43720 and 43721
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:14:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
Nice, I like the idea of the quadric primitive, but we want to
add some curvature to the LDRAW version, right?  I fiddled a bit
with the part a few days ago, starting with the two triangles
outlined by your primitive.  I didn't exactly finish, but I think
if you take this and make a surface that follows the green X and
also follows the red stripes, you end up with something pretty
decent where the optional lines work.

The following are the appropriate conditionals for Don's surface.
Playing with it you can have angles where the conditionals seem to
go too far, but it's certainly much better than the current ones.

Hey, thanks testing it out.  You're right about the conditionals
zig-zagging a bit.  I still have the feeling that if the surface
were pinned down to the concave green line those zig-zags would
go away.  But I couldn't decide whether to divvy it up with cuts
sorta parallel to the convex green line (like the torus primitives)
or with another fan outta one (or two) of the other corners.  I
was kinda hoping that maybe with your superior math intuition, you'd
just know the right answer... ;^)

(Note that the last 4 conditionals are only there to keep the surface
smooth in LDView.  I'm not sure if that's appropriate or not, but it
looks a whole lot better in LDView with them present.  It looks
positively wretched without them.)

I'd keep 'em for now.  But maybe this weekend I'll try and scale it
down to the 1x1x1 primitive size and pin the surfaces down to that
concave curve.  Then it'll need a whole new set of conditionals.

Don