 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5659
Re: Conditional lines on sloped wedge parts 43720 and 43721
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:07:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
   Oh, I don’t know about that 1 pixel business. The problem with the surface as it’s currently written, is that it flip-flops between convex and concave every at every triangle. But if you ignore the triangles and spin the surface around a bit, it really looks like an inner torus surface oriented diagonally. We know how to do that without making a lumpy mess of it. The challenge is in getting a diamond shaped slice of torus instead of a rectangular slice.

I think the key difference is the twisted nature of this surface. I think the twist makes it impossible to partition the surface into polygons without having a mix of convex and concave seams. I’d like to be proven wrong.

I don’t have one of the pieces handy, I’ll have to look at some tonight, at home.

Steve