 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5658
Re: Conditional lines on sloped wedge parts 43720 and 43721
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:23:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ross Crawford wrote:

   If the top points are A1-5 and the bottom points are B1-5, keep the A2-B1, A3-B2 as currently, but instead of A2-B2 etc, use A3-B1, A4-B2, etc. I think that would make all the edges inside curves instead of outside, and eliminate the need for conditionals. But I’m not sure. And I dunno if it would “look right”.

OK, I tried it and realise now that it doesn’t solve the problem at all, just moves the outside curves to a different spot. I think Don is right, a more complex torus-like curve is necessary to represent it properly.

I’m pretty sure that’s going to be the problem with *any* partition of this surface into polygons. Having a mathematical description of the surface would be good, because then we could potentially create a primitive for the surface, and rendering programs could substitute a smooth-curve construct for the primitive.

In the LDraw code, I believe the appropriate fix will be to replace the current coarse mesh with a mesh that’s fine enough so that the potential error (ie, the distance from the ideal brick surface to the LDraw conditional edge) is less than 1 pixel (at reasonable magnifications). I’m not sure how fine such a mesh will be, we might have to settle for coming within a couple of pixels...

Oh, I don’t know about that 1 pixel business. The problem with the surface as it’s currently written, is that it flip-flops between convex and concave every at every triangle. But if you ignore the triangles and spin the surface around a bit, it really looks like an inner torus surface oriented diagonally. We know how to do that without making a lumpy mess of it. The challenge is in getting a diamond shaped slice of torus instead of a rectangular slice.

Enjoy,

Don