 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5656
Re: Conditional lines on sloped wedge parts 43720 and 43721
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:16:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:

I’m not sure about that. The surface as it’s written is extremely lumpy, and the conditional lines work as expected given the lumps in the surface. You also get an ugly shading effect with flat shading because of those lumps.

There’s gotta be a way to cut the polys through the middle of the saddle and eliminate the problem. It looks like it might involve a ring (or torus) primative?

Well, I thought about this, and what I would try is changing the polygons thus:

If the top points are A1-5 and the bottom points are B1-5, keep the A2-B1, A3-B2 as currently, but instead of A2-B2 etc, use A3-B1, A4-B2, etc. I think that would make all the edges inside curves instead of outside, and eliminate the need for conditionals. But I’m not sure. And I dunno if it would “look right”.

OK, I tried it and realise now that it doesn’t solve the problem at all, just moves the outside curves to a different spot. I think Don is right, a more complex torus-like curve is necessary to represent it properly.

ROSCO

Re: Conditional lines on sloped wedge parts 43720 and 43721
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Ross Crawford wrote:

   If the top points are A1-5 and the bottom points are B1-5, keep the A2-B1, A3-B2 as currently, but instead of A2-B2 etc, use A3-B1, A4-B2, etc. I think that would make all the edges inside curves instead of outside, and eliminate the need for conditionals. But I’m not sure. And I dunno if it would “look right”.

OK, I tried it and realise now that it doesn’t solve the problem at all, just moves the outside curves to a different spot. I think Don is right, a more complex torus-like curve is necessary to represent it properly.

I’m pretty sure that’s going to be the problem with *any* partition of this surface into polygons. Having a mathematical description of the surface would be good, because then we could potentially create a primitive for the surface, and rendering programs could substitute a smooth-curve construct for the primitive.

In the LDraw code, I believe the appropriate fix will be to replace the current coarse mesh with a mesh that’s fine enough so that the potential error (ie, the distance from the ideal brick surface to the LDraw conditional edge) is less than 1 pixel (at reasonable magnifications). I’m not sure how fine such a mesh will be, we might have to settle for coming within a couple of pixels...

Steve

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
[...]

Oh, I don’t know about that 1 pixel business. The problem with the surface as it’s currently written, is that it flip-flops between convex and concave every at every triangle. But if you ignore the triangles and spin the surface around a bit, it really looks like an inner torus surface oriented diagonally. We know how to do that without making a lumpy mess of it. The challenge is in getting a diamond shaped slice of torus instead of a rectangular slice.

Enjoy,

Don

Re: Conditional lines on sloped wedge parts 43720 and 43721
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
   Oh, I don’t know about that 1 pixel business. The problem with the surface as it’s currently written, is that it flip-flops between convex and concave every at every triangle. But if you ignore the triangles and spin the surface around a bit, it really looks like an inner torus surface oriented diagonally. We know how to do that without making a lumpy mess of it. The challenge is in getting a diamond shaped slice of torus instead of a rectangular slice.

I think the key difference is the twisted nature of this surface. I think the twist makes it impossible to partition the surface into polygons without having a mix of convex and concave seams. I’d like to be proven wrong.

I don’t have one of the pieces handy, I’ll have to look at some tonight, at home.

Steve

Re: Conditional lines on sloped wedge parts 43720 and 43721
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's going to be the problem with *any* partition of this
surface into polygons.  Having a mathematical description of the surface would
be good, because then we could potentially create a primitive for the surface,
and rendering programs could substitute a smooth-curve construct for the
primitive.

I have made a 43720.inc for the test of the coming L3PPARTS.
The mathematical description of the surface is:
    80x + 40y + yz = 0
and I have used the POV primitive quadric:
    quadric {
       <0,0,0>, <0,0,1>, <80,40,0>, 0
       clipped_by { box { <-20,0,-40>, <0,20,40> } }
    }
/Lars

Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's going to be the problem with *any* partition of this
surface into polygons.  Having a mathematical description of the surface would
be good, because then we could potentially create a primitive for the surface,
and rendering programs could substitute a smooth-curve construct for the
primitive.

I have made a 43720.inc for the test of the coming L3PPARTS.
The mathematical description of the surface is:
    80x + 40y + yz = 0
and I have used the POV primitive quadric:
    quadric {
       <0,0,0>, <0,0,1>, <80,40,0>, 0
       clipped_by { box { <-20,0,-40>, <0,20,40> } }
    }

Looks good.
Should we create a new primitive with the next dimensions:?
2 24 0 0 1 0 1 1
2 24 1 0 -1 0 1 -1
2 24 0 0 1 1 0 -1
2 24 0 1 1 0 1 -1
and a POV-quadric version in the coming L3PPARTS.

As the outer twisted surface of the parts with this shape are
pretty the same size, the inner surface differs among these parts
(in 43720/43721 the inner surface has a z-size of 72,
in 45407 the inner suface has a z-size of 76).
With a general primitive it can be stretched to any dimension.

Niels Karsdorp

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
[...]

Nice, I like the idea of the quadric primitive, but we want to
add some curvature to the LDRAW version, right?  I fiddled a bit
with the part a few days ago, starting with the two triangles
outlined by your primitive.  I didn't exactly finish, but I think
if you take this and make a surface that follows the green X and
also follows the red stripes, you end up with something pretty
decent where the optional lines work.

Don

0 Wedge  4 x  2 Sloped Left
0 Name: 43721.dat
0 Author: Donald Sutter
0 LDRAW_ORG Part UPDATE 2004-04
0 Unofficial hack for testing purposes.
0
1 16 -10 0 30 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
1 16 -10 0 10 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
1 16 -10 0 -10 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
1 16 -10 0 -30 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
0
2 4 5 20 -20 0 0 -20
2 4 10 20 0 0 0 0
2 4 15 20 20 0 0 20
0
2 2 0 20 -40 3.75 15 -20
2 2 3.75 15 -20 5 10 0
2 2 5 10 0 3.75 5 20
2 2 3.75 5 20 0 0 40
0
2 2 0    0  -40  1.25 5  -20
2 2 1.25 5  -20  5    10 0
2 2 5    10 0    11.25 15  20
2 2 11.25 15 20   20   20  40
0
3 46 0 0 -40 0 20 -40 3.75 15 -20
3 46 0 0 -40 3.75 15 -20 5 10 0
3 46 0 0 -40 5 10 0 3.75 5 20
3 46 0 0 -40 3.75 5 20 0 0 40
0
3 45 20 20 40 0 20 -40 3.75 15 -20
3 45 20 20 40 3.75 15 -20 5 10 0
3 45 20 20 40 5 10 0 3.75 5 20
3 45 20 20 40 3.75 5 20 0 0 40
0
1 16 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\43720s01.dat
0

[...]

The following are the appropriate conditionals for Don's surface.  Playing with
it you can have angles where the conditionals seem to go too far, but it's
certainly much better than the current ones.

(Note that the last 4 conditionals are only there to keep the surface smooth in
LDView.  I'm not sure if that's appropriate or not, but it looks a whole lot
better in LDView with them present.  It looks positively wretched without
them.)

0
5 24 0 0 -40 3.75 15 -20 0 20 -40 5 10 0
5 24 0 0 -40 5 10 0 3.75 15 -20 3.75 5 20
5 24 0 0 -40 3.75 5 20 5 10 0 0 0 40
0
5 24 20 20 40 3.75 15 -20 0 20 -40 5 10 0
5 24 20 20 40 5 10 0 3.75 15 -20 3.75 5 20
5 24 20 20 40 3.75 5 20 5 10 0 0 0 40
0
5 24 0 20 -40 3.75 15 -20 0 0 -40 20 20 40
5 24 3.75 15 -20 5 10 0 0 0 -40 20 20 40
5 24 5 10 0 3.75 5 20 0 0 -40 20 20 40
5 24 3.75 5 20 0 0 40 0 0 -40 20 20 40
0

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
Nice, I like the idea of the quadric primitive, but we want to
add some curvature to the LDRAW version, right?  I fiddled a bit
with the part a few days ago, starting with the two triangles
outlined by your primitive.  I didn't exactly finish, but I think
if you take this and make a surface that follows the green X and
also follows the red stripes, you end up with something pretty
decent where the optional lines work.

The following are the appropriate conditionals for Don's surface.
Playing with it you can have angles where the conditionals seem to
go too far, but it's certainly much better than the current ones.

Hey, thanks testing it out.  You're right about the conditionals
zig-zagging a bit.  I still have the feeling that if the surface
were pinned down to the concave green line those zig-zags would
go away.  But I couldn't decide whether to divvy it up with cuts
sorta parallel to the convex green line (like the torus primitives)
or with another fan outta one (or two) of the other corners.  I
was kinda hoping that maybe with your superior math intuition, you'd
just know the right answer... ;^)

(Note that the last 4 conditionals are only there to keep the surface
smooth in LDView.  I'm not sure if that's appropriate or not, but it
looks a whole lot better in LDView with them present.  It looks
positively wretched without them.)

I'd keep 'em for now.  But maybe this weekend I'll try and scale it
down to the 1x1x1 primitive size and pin the surfaces down to that
concave curve.  Then it'll need a whole new set of conditionals.

Don

[...]

Good idea with a twist primitive (twist.dat ?).
Perhaps it would be simpler if it were only in one octant:
    2 24 0 0 0  0 0 1
    2 24 0 0 1  1 1 1
    2 24 1 1 1  0 1 0
    2 24 0 1 0  0 0 0
POV code would be:
    //x - yz = 0
    quadric {
       <0,0,0>, <0,0,-1>, <1,0,0>, 0
       clipped_by { box { <0,0,0>, <1,1,1> } }
    }
[...]

Ok so it's been a few years, but I took another look at this.
Did anybody ever make a twist primitive?  It appears like all
you need to do is something like this.

Don

0 Wedge  4 x  2 Sloped Left
0 Name: 43721.dat
0 Author: Donald Sutter
0 LDRAW_ORG Part UPDATE 2004-04
0 Unofficial hack for testing purposes.
0
1 16 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\43720s01.dat
0
1 16 -10 0 30 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
1 16 -10 0 10 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
1 16 -10 0 -10 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
1 16 -10 0 -30 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 stud.dat
0
0 // Begin 4 quadrant twist patch.
0 // Is each quadrant actually the same part?
0 // Scale down to 1x1 for reuse in other parts.
0 // Can break each quadrant into 4 parts for
0 // an even finer mesh.
3 16   11.25 15 20   5 10 0    10 20 0
3 16   11.25 15 20   10 20 0   20 20 40
3 16   11.25 15 20   20 20 40  10 10 40