 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4468
Re: Ok, seems to be the best place to ask...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:52:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Dwayne Miller writes:
Looking for some form of Documenation, on MAKING not using Primitives.
Prefer something that does not require a BS in math to understand.

Anyone have anything they can point me to?

Thanks,
Dwayne Miller
Barberton, Ohio USA

In principle, making primitives is no different to making parts, you just need
to think a little more about the generalities of what you are making and ensure
the reusability factor is high enough. We are also insisting that all new
primitives are BFC compliant.

To quote the Primitives Reference, the primary purpose of primitives is
*  To speed up parts authoring by providing a library of components which can
be incorporated into several parts
* To allow rendering software to make substitutions of curved components

In terms of the existing _classes_ of primitives, I think we're pretty well
covered - either we have most of the variants we need, or have the tools to
produce the missing ones when we need them.

So, I'm intrigued as to where you think the LDraw library could benefit from
more primitives.

I'm happy for this discussion to happen here, or take off line with Steve Bliss
and myself at parts@ldraw.org. In any case, if you have ideas for new _classes_
off primtives, we would want to be involved in the nomenclature.
Chris