 CAD / 9925
Re: Crazy, OK Heretical Idea ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 21:35:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:

I like this.  It would allow you to define a bunch of materials up
front and then apply them to some of the surfaces.  Could we use this
for printed textures as well, or would that be better with a different
meta-command?

How would you apply the material?  I still like this way:

0 Put the standard materials in P\MATERIAL.DAT
0 MATERIAL DEFINE bumpy ......
0 MATERIAL DEFINE smooth ......
0 MATERIAL DEFINE rubber ......
0 MATERIAL DEFINE metal ......
0 MATERIAL DEFINE cloth ......
0 MATERIAL DEFINE pearlescent ......
0 MATERIAL DEFINE studLogoBumpMap ?????
0 MATERIAL DEFINE printed ?????

  I was thinking we would have a pre-defined set of materials, so we don't
need to define them.

1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 material.dat
0 MATERIAL BEGIN bumpy
0
0 ordinary ldraw commands to draw a sloped face.
0
0 MATERIAL END bumpy

  That's what I had in mind.

Are printed textures a property of a MATERIAL, or should they be done
with a separate but similar set of meta-commands?  It seems to me that
some material properties may need an orientation, and some (like
specular effects) do not.

  You need texture coordinates to be able to apply textures but you don't
need them for smooth, rubber and metal, and you can kinda hack it for bump
and cloth materials.

Leonardo