 CAD / 5331
Re: DAT to GIF/JPG/EPS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:04:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad, Thomas Keenan writes:
I toyed with EPS output in the latest version of the ldglite sources, but
the output files were ENORMOUS.  Of course I was just dumping shaded • triangles
so I suppose a more sophisticated translator would produce more efficient
EPS files.

How exactly did you do this, if you don't mind explaining?

I pasted some code from here http://reality.sgi.com/opengl/tips/Feedback.html
into ldglite.  It uses the opengl feedback buffer to grab the primitives
and dump EPS instead of rendering them onscreen.  It's a neat trick, but not
the best way to do it.  A better way would be to convert parts instead of
just triangles, quads, and lines to EPS.

Don

Where does hidden triangle removal happen in this process? Or do you count
on getting them in proper back-to-front order?

I'm experimenting with a postscript renderer plug-in since about a week ago.

The code at sgi has an option to sort them by depth.  It's not perfect though,
and it uses a lot of memory since you have to push ALL the triangles through
the feedback buffer before you sort.  That's a lot of triangles and postscript
is quite wordy.  I suppose if you could remove all the hidden triangles (or
at least the hidden studs like l3lab) then you might get a reasonable sized
EPS file.