 CAD / 16180
Re: LDraw.org 2009-01 Parts Update Now Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 11:23:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Santeri Piippo wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Chris Dee wrote:
The 2009-01 LDraw parts update has been now been released.

SNIP
Chris Dee (LDraw Parts Library Admin)

Uhh, it seems to me that the Windows version of the library doesn't include the
old parts! New users coming to LDraw using the installer would thus be without
many important, even fundamental parts, such as 2780.dat. Shouldn't a version of
this having the complete library be released, too? The zip file seems OK,
though.

About 2780... in my opinion it should have made it into this release as it's in
admin review stage and utilizes the new pin primitives. Same for 32054. However,
again, this release is a milestone, thanks again for it. :-)

The existing 2780 is still non-redistributable, in that is was authored by
someone who has not affirmed the Contributor Agreement. I'd suggest that you
declined to install this component of the library, which is why it is now
missing. Maybe this was not clear in the language you selected for the
installation. I don't know your mother tongue, but if not English, German,
French, Dutch or Italian, maybe you could assist me to translate the install
questions into your own language and improve the installation package. Let me
know if you'd like me to send the text for translation.

I can understand why you might want the revised 2780 (and indeed every other
"needs admin review" part) to have gone into this update. However there needed
to be a cut-off somewhere between me working on admin certifying the backlog and
getting the already certified parts packaged into a release. I took the
unilateral decision that users would prefer some evidence that the update
mechanism is back on track, rather than wait another month or more, and I hope
you can support this decision. As I said before, I will now work on these parts
with the aim of another update in a two or three month timeframe.

Chris