 CAD / 15774
Re: "LGEO" and "L3P v1.4 BETA 20080930"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:40:45 GMT

One additional suggestion I'd like to make is to, instead of writing the same
data repeatedly over and over for each part, store the part data (matrix
transformations and materials) in arrays and then traverse at the end of a file
using loops. Roughly, this:

// 1 0  180 -192 -90  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1 3004.dat
object {
_3004_dot_dat
matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,180,-192,-90>
material { L3Color0 }
}

would become something like this:

array[3] {_3004_dot_dat, <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,180,-192,-90>, L3Color0}

In this case _3004_dot_dat is a pointer to the array entry instead of the POV
object. As an example, the pointer might be created like this:

#declare _3004_dot_dat = model_array[34];

Using arrays would make it easier to tweak models without needing to open and
edit them in MLCad and re-convert them using L3P. POV-Ray SDL is not
object-oriented, so there's no way to retrieve object data without writing a
parser and parsing the entire file.

-Mike