 CAD / 13760

Subject:
Tyre (tire) nomenclature
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:53:28 GMT

Mike Heidemann and others make a good point here
<http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/3641.dat> about qualifying
the LDraw descriptions for tyres.

Current commercial nomenclature follows an ISO standard (see for example
<http://www.yokohama.co.nz/understand.htm>) typically using
Width"/"AspectRatio"R"RimDiameter, where AspectRatio is the tyrewall height
expressed as a percentage of the width - eg: 180/60R14 for a 180mm wide 60%
aspect ratio tyre to fit on 14inch rims. Note the mix of metric and imperial
units !!

In some cases, TLC has come close to that - eg: the "24 x 43" dimensions moulded
on part 3740 <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3740> are Width(mm) x
RimDiameter(mm), although the omission of the aspect ratio fails to fully
describe this tyre.

But in others, TLC reverses the dimensions - eg: the "43.2 x 28" moulded on part
6579 <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6579>.

LDraw nomenclature has added other inconsistencies - eg: part 3534
<http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3634> for which the "17 x 43" represents
RimDiameter x OverallDiameter.

I'd like to propose a move to a more ISO-like nomenclature to standardise,
incorporate aspect ratio and make the link between tyres and hubs clearer.

Tyre Width[/AspectRatio] x RimDiameter [tread designation or other qualifier],
with all dimansions in mm

3740 could stay as "Tyre 24 x 43", although "Tyre 24 x 43 Offset Tread" might be
more descriptive and "Tyre 24/79 x 43 Offset Tread" more complete.
6579 should change to "Tyre 28/65 x 25 Balloon"
3534 should change to "Tyre 10/140 x 14 Offset Tread"

or we could express the rim diameter in LDraw units, leading to a better
match-up with wheel hubs and other circular parts, whose diameters are usually
expressed in LDu.

3740 -> Tyre 24/79 x 107.6 Offset Tread
6579 -> Tyre 28/65 x 64 Balloon
3534 -> Tyre 10/140 x 19 Offset Tread

If we standardise the dimensions to be different to what is moulded on the part,
that text should go into the "0 KEYWORDS" line.

Under this proposal, 3641 which started this discussion would become

Tyre  6 x  7.5 Offset Tread (rim diameter im mm)
or
Tyre  6 x 20 Offset Tread (rim diameter in LDu)

Comments, please.

Chris

Re: Tyre (tire) nomenclature